My personal Trados Studio 2014 Wailing List
Thread poster: Peter Mueller

Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:32
Member (2008)
English to German
Oct 29, 2013

Here we go. Another take on Trados Studio is out. I believed the advertising, got excited about the focus on productivity, and bought the upgrade a month before it’s release. „We listened“ is what it said, and I thought: „Oh, wow, finally they realized that their software is actually for translators!“ But woe me …

So here’s my wailing list for Trados Studio 2014:

• Content filtering – one of the great productivity and quality features of Trados – has been moved from the handy position above the editor into the – thank you Microsoft – Ribbon. It used to be „enter text and click“, now it is „click ribbon, click display filter, enter text and click“. Removing it used to be one click, now it is „click ribbon, click display filter, click remove“. Productivity gain? Negative.

• A pain in the a.. all along: Trados still can’t do typographic quotation marks (like it is mandatory in German). I can insert them *sometimes* from the Start ribbon – and sometimes not. Why this is so, I do not know. So I end up using an external document to copy-paste it. Feels like computer stone age. Productivity gain? Oh, how I wished …

• Entering a term into a term base now takes longer (sometimes by factor four as compared to Trados 2011); but at least it seems to work (unlike the constant woes of Trados 2011). That’s a productivity gain (as in: I can use the feature now), but should have been a free update in terms of selling software that actually works, not something I need to pay for.

• AutoSuggest used to be a free feature with Trados Studio. Now (with the Freelance version) I have to pay extra for it. The SDL marketing messages praised a better AutoSuggest as a new feature, but I am left holding the bag. Double-plus negative.
Oh, and by the way: I tried to buy the AutoSuggest plugin – only, I could not find it in their shop. I guess this qualifies for „userfiendly.“ No hint in Trados itself. In the age of app stores I really wonder why they make it so hard for their users.

• Still no tech support without paying dearly for it.

Overall: Now, to be fair, there are improvements with the new version. One feature I really like is the automatic combination of multiple files into one translation document in editor. And the application seems less buggy than 2009. But overall it’s a lot more clickediclick for reaching the same results than in Trados 2009. And spreading commands over three menu bars doesn’t help to find what you’re looking for. Plus, it really sucks that AutoSuggest has been removed. For me as a freelancer I am not sure whether this was worth it shelling out the money for the upgrade.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Your list... Oct 29, 2013

prmueller wrote:

• Content filtering – one of the great productivity and quality features of Trados – has been moved from the handy position above the editor into the – thank you Microsoft – Ribbon. It used to be „enter text and click“, now it is „click ribbon, click display filter, enter text and click“. Removing it used to be one click, now it is „click ribbon, click display filter, click remove“. Productivity gain? Negative.

Maybe try the following?

- Ctrl+F6 takes you straight to the search dialogue
- Ctrl+Shift+F6 opens the display filter drop down
- Ctrl+Alt+F6 resets the filters

There is also a little button at the bottom of the screen you can use to access the filter display too.

prmueller wrote:

• A pain in the a.. all along: Trados still can’t do typographic quotation marks (like it is mandatory in German). I can insert them *sometimes* from the Start ribbon – and sometimes not. Why this is so, I do not know. So I end up using an external document to copy-paste it. Feels like computer stone age. Productivity gain? Oh, how I wished …

Best explained with this article perhaps : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-uS

prmueller wrote:

• Entering a term into a term base now takes longer (sometimes by factor four as compared to Trados 2011); but at least it seems to work (unlike the constant woes of Trados 2011). That’s a productivity gain (as in: I can use the feature now), but should have been a free update in terms of selling software that actually works, not something I need to pay for.

It does take longer the first time you add a term, but then it should be faster or at least comparable. However, we do indeed need to address Java and improve the interaction with MultiTerm. We do have some focus on this at the moment.

prmueller wrote:

• AutoSuggest used to be a free feature with Trados Studio. Now (with the Freelance version) I have to pay extra for it. The SDL marketing messages praised a better AutoSuggest as a new feature, but I am left holding the bag. Double-plus negative.
Oh, and by the way: I tried to buy the AutoSuggest plugin – only, I could not find it in their shop. I guess this qualifies for „userfiendly.“ No hint in Trados itself. In the age of app stores I really wonder why they make it so hard for their users.

It was never a free feature, at least not to create the dictionary. Perhaps you had a special deal when you purchased it? But using it is always possible from all versions.

prmueller wrote:

• Still no tech support without paying dearly for it.

Well, licensing and installation support is always free. We also spend a lot of time in the public forums providing as much free support as we can. Perhaps, given I don't recognise your name at all, you don't come here very often?

Maybe also check this article that's quite useful, although it needs updating for 2014 as we provide even more now : http://wp.me/P2xDjK-7X

Regards

Paul

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agreed Oct 29, 2013

I agree with the points you've made, and I'd like to add one more:

Studio is still unable to merge segments across paragraphs!!!

Now imagine how that would have improved my productivity! Couldn't this have been achieved by now (after all those years!) instead of allocating manpower into a ribbon interface (which, while some people don't seem to care much, nobody really asked for)?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please repost as a new thread in the correct forum. Thank you

Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Now, what do I do about AutoSuggest? Oct 29, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

It was never a free feature, at least not to create the dictionary. Perhaps you had a special deal when you purchased it? But using it is always possible from all versions.

Thanks, Paul, for the response – a nice gesture, and helpful! I created AutoSuggest dictionaries with my Trados 2011 version, and wonder how I can get that feature back. Can I simply re-activate my old version to create it (I bought an update)? Or is there a location (link?) where I can get it for 2014?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
More thoughts on the AS plug in Oct 29, 2013

prmueller wrote:

Oh, and by the way: I tried to buy the AutoSuggest plugin – only, I could not find it in their shop. I guess this qualifies for „userfriendly.“

Out of interest, I wondered how difficult it really was to locate and buy the AS plugin.
- I googled: SDL autosuggest shop
- The first hit took me here: http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/sdl-autosuggest.html
- And at the bottom of the page a link to "shop" took me here: http://www.translationzone.com/shop/freelance-translator/
The autosuggest plugin is at the bottom of the page.

I agree that as many users of Studio 2009 got AS bundled in with their initial purchase, it would be nice to have a clear note to say that it is not included. Still, if you've got an older version, you could create an AS dictionary there and then use it Studio 2014.

Edited to add: Yes, your 2014 upgraded license works for 2011 too. Simply open Studio 2011 and create an AS dictionary there.
If you've got old dictionaries, add them straight to your projects in 2014. You don't need a license to use an AS dictionary, just to create one.

[Edited at 2013-10-29 10:56 GMT]

James Kirchner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Filtering Oct 29, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

prmueller wrote:

Maybe try the following?

There is also a little button at the bottom of the screen you can use to access the filter display too.

I have tried those keyboard shortcuts, and they don't work. Nothing happens. I even customized them to see if the use of an F key was the problem (as it sometimes is on my system), and the functionality still does not work. Clicking on the button at the bottom of the screen doesn't work either. I click, and nothing happens.

A further problem I have is that filtering from the drop-down menu works, but the text filter does not. I type a term I know to be in many segments in the document, hit Enter, and no filtering occurs.

So for me, not only has the filter been put in a less accessible place, but half the functionality has been lost.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Mark
Italian to English
I am genuinely mystified Oct 29, 2013

When I asked the SDL, Star and Wordfast people if their programs would merge across a hard line break, I was sometimes met with incomprehension at first, and later when told that the programs couldn't do it, the attitude seemed to be that this is the way God created the universe.
I suppose I must be missing something, but I can’t get my head round why this is such a big deal. Surely a hard break isn’t coded in a more complicated way than a soft break? Could it not be a tag more or less like any other (perhaps *absolutely* obligatory, to prevent corrupted files)?

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Studio 2014 woes Oct 29, 2013

Filter (and ribbon)

SDL Support wrote:
Maybe try the following?

Yes, they work... sort of: Say you are translating, with the ribbon in the "home" position (maybe you need to be there because it is there that the quickinser buttons are, and you are using them... but more about the Quickinsert fail later).

Now you have to access the filter - quickly done: Ctrl+F6 and you are there. Do whatever you need to do with the filter, than you keep on writing your translation. Only, at this point you need to access again Quickinsert (or whichever function that is not in the Review tab). At this point you have to again go to the ribbon and select the appropriate tab. Again back to work, but you need to again access the filter - again you have to change tab, and so on.

Multiple toolbards (as you had before) are much more efficient: you keep visible those you need, and hide the others: it is you (the translator) who decides which commands you really needs frequently, and which, on the other hand, you don't access so frequently so you can afford to hide away.

Quickinsert

SDL Support wrote:

Best explained with this article perhaps : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-uS

While we do appreciate your excellent article, there is no question in my mind that SDL has badly failed with Quickinsert, and will keep on failing so long as it insists there is no problem:

• If you want to add new items to the Quickinsert bttons, you have to do it for each file type, so, if you want to add, for example the "smart" single quotes and the apostrophe (two different items), you have to add two quickinsert items to each of the thirty-something different file types. I.e., you have to repeat the same operation some sixty times for something that should be available out of the box. This is a major fail.
  • Worse still: say that you have been proactive and done all that, expecting that, after having spent more than an hour adding your favorite quickinsert items to all the file types you are now in the clear, and will be able to add smart single quotes and apostrophes to your heart's content. Not so: if you receive an sdxliff file from your customer, and they haven't spent the time necessary to add single quotes to the various file types, you still get the choice between either adding them again (and again, with the next project, and again...), or do without. This, again, is a major fail.
  • In your article you suggest to use regular expressions (in search and replace). The use of regular expression is complicated, and not for everybody. Also, it's not a solution for inserting the items while you type: it's best used at the end - but if you then need to return to your translation and make changes, then you have to re-run the search and replace operations again. So even I do appreciate your suggestion (as well as your other useful articles on regex). This is at best a kludge, not a solution.
  • You also suggest using a script for automatically substituting characters (using AutoHotkey). Once again, not a solution for everybody. Again a useful kludge, not a solution.

Once again: some programmer at SDL (clearly not a translator) decided that while translators are entitled to use three different types of "smart" double quotes (but not always) they have to suffer if they dare want using smart single quotes.

On the other hand, if I use MemoQ, I just type the single quote (or the apostrophe), and the program does the rest - just as in MSWord. I realize that in some special instances using MemoQ's automatic substitution could create problems with certain file types. In those cases it is easy enough to deactivate the automatic substitution of the smart quotes.

Sorry Paul, I like Studio, and there are some very useful new features in 2014, but as regards Quickinsert and smart quotes the match between SDL and Kilgray is like a match between the Colorado Rapids and FC Barcelona.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TermInjector... Oct 29, 2013

I've fixed that issue with every instance of quotes with the following replacement rules and don't even have to type the chevrons in French any more, regardless of the type of file:

\“([A-Za-z]+)\” « \1 »
\“\.([a-z]+)\” « .\1 »
\“([A-Za-z]+) \+ ([A-Z]+)\” « \1 + \2 »
\“([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\” « \1 \2 »
\“([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+) \” « \1 \2 \3 »
\‘([a-z]+)\’ « \1 »
\‘([A-Za-z]+)\:\’ « \1 : »
([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\. \1 \2.
\“([A-Z]+) \+ ([A-Za-z]+)\” « \1 + \2 »
\"([A-Za-z]+)\" « \1 »
\"([A-Za-z]+)\" « \1 »
\"([A-Z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\" « \1 \2 »
\"([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\" « \1 \2 »
\‘([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\’ « \1 \2 \3 »
\‘([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\’ « \1 \2 »
\‘([A-Za-z]+)\’ « \1 »
\‘([A-Za-z]+) ([0-9]+) ([a-z]+) ([0-9]+)\’ « \1 \2 à \4 »
\‘([0-9]+)\’ « \1 »
\'([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+) ([A-Za-z]+)\' « \1 \2 \3 »

HTH,

Bernard

United Kingdom
English
Has to be some keyboard shortcut clash... Oct 29, 2013

James Kirchner wrote:

I have tried those keyboard shortcuts, and they don't work. Nothing happens. I even customized them to see if the use of an F key was the problem (as it sometimes is on my system), and the functionality still does not work. Clicking on the button at the bottom of the screen doesn't work either. I click, and nothing happens.

A further problem I have is that filtering from the drop-down menu works, but the text filter does not. I type a term I know to be in many segments in the document, hit Enter, and no filtering occurs.

So for me, not only has the filter been put in a less accessible place, but half the functionality has been lost.

Hi James,

If you have problems like these the problem is almost certainly going to be a clash with some other software you are running that is active at the same time as Studio.

Drop me an email and perhaps we can take a look... probably not until Friday as I'm travelling around at the moment but if you can make time on Friday we can see whether we can figure out what's happening for you.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

United Kingdom
English
I can't agree with much of this... Oct 29, 2013

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Multiple toolbards (as you had before) are much more efficient: you keep visible those you need, and hide the others: it is you (the translator) who decides which commands you really needs frequently, and which, on the other hand, you don't access so frequently so you can afford to hide away.

I think this is a matter of opinion Riccardo and I genuinely believe there are more positives than negatives with the ribbon approach. This is the first implementation and you can expect to see a lot more here now that we have the basis for further improvement.

Now you have to access the filter - quickly done: Ctrl+F6 and you are there. Do whatever you need to do with the filter, than you keep on writing your translation. Only, at this point you need to access again Quickinsert (or whichever function that is not in the Review tab). At this point you have to again go to the ribbon and select the appropriate tab.

No need to go back for QuickInserts if you know the shortcut. It will still work whether you are in the Review ribbon or not.

I do take your point about having to change to a different ribbon for other functions. But the toolbars did not have the same number of controls on them as the ribbons, and using an Alt+letter shortcut to get back isn't too much effort. In fact I have no doubt that as users become familiar with the ribbon shortcuts getting to the places they want won't be a hardship at all.

I am really quite happy that the right decision was made by product management to adopt the ribbon approach. It is a personal preference, but so far I have no qualms in saying you are in the minority here compared to the number of users I speak to.

While we do appreciate your excellent article, there is no question in my mind that SDL has badly failed with Quickinsert, and will keep on failing so long as it insists there is no problem:

Who's insisting there is no problem? The article and the things we are saying here are all about how to get on with using the software right now. This doesn't mean it won't change. In the article I even pointed out the failings you felt the need to elaborate on again here. I also doubt you would translate all the file formats possibly supported, but your point is valid as I already said.

Once again: some programmer at SDL (clearly not a translator) decided that while translators are entitled to use three different types of "smart" double quotes (but not always) they have to suffer if they dare want using smart single quotes.

On the other hand, if I use MemoQ, I just type the single quote (or the apostrophe), and the program does the rest - just as in MSWord. I realize that in some special instances using MemoQ's automatic substitution could create problems with certain file types. In those cases it is easy enough to deactivate the automatic substitution of the smart quotes.

Sorry Paul, I like Studio, and there are some very useful new features in 2014, but as regards Quickinsert and smart quotes the match between SDL and Kilgray is like a match between the Colorado Rapids and FC Barcelona.

I too like the approach in memoQ and Word for these. But neither address the problems of translators using these, «», or 「」, or »«, or ””, or ”„, or ›‹, or goodness what other forms of quotation marks are used. For someone else the solutions you mention may not be appropriate at all.

You also suggest using a script for automatically substituting characters (using AutoHotkey). Once again, not a solution for everybody. Again a useful kludge, not a solution.

I completely disagree. I think AHK provides a solution for automating whatever type of quotation marks you need in any application at all. I don't think this is a kludge, and I think if this was suggested for anyones software apart from ours people would be clamouring for the scripts quite happily! In fact I see these things being suggested fairly regularly even in the memoQ forum. I think these are good tool independent solutions.

In your article you suggest to use regular expressions (in search and replace). The use of regular expression is complicated, and not for everybody. Also, it's not a solution for inserting the items while you type: it's best used at the end - but if you then need to return to your translation and make changes, then you have to re-run the search and replace operations again. So even I do appreciate your suggestion (as well as your other useful articles on regex). This is at best a kludge, not a solution.

As a solution for inserting as you type I agree. But as a solution for correcting the work of someone else, or an MT solution perhaps, where the incorrect quotes are littered throughout the document then I think it's a very valid solution. Not everybody wants to use regular expressions, I also agree on that too. But part of the reason is because so many people keep saying it's complicated. The vast majority of usecases for regex in tidying up text are simple, and a little understanding of a few basics are something I'd encourage every translator to learn.

Certainly I think every task has an appropriate solution. I think we could do a better job of the quickinserts than we have, and I think we will improve this too. But for now I think there are valid and helpful solutions to these problems, some of which are methods people may even find are worth using even after we improve the quickinsert mechanisms.

That would be my take anyway.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My personal Trados Studio 2014 Wailing List

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search