Thread poster: James Kirchner
James Kirchner  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:35
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2013

This issue came up in the responses to another post, but the administrators deleted that string because it allegedly strayed from the original topic.

One poster mentioned that SDL Trados Studio 2014 still can't merge segments separated by a hard line break. I responded that this is an ongoing problem not only with Trados Studio, but also with Star Transit and Wordfast.

This is a serious problem, because in the days of packages containing badly converted, imported PDF files, the hard line break often interrupts a sentence. Translating this way will junk up translation memory, particularly when the source and target languages have opposite word orders in certain sentences. This means that when such sentences are translated correctly, the first segment of the source ends up with the translation of the second segment and vice versa. It's a very grave problem when such segments can't be merged.

I mentioned that last year at the ATA conference I had asked reps and tech people from SDL, Star and Wordfast if their programs could merge segments separated by a hard line break, and they said no. When I mentioned why it's a problem, I had the impression that most of them thought it was just the way the universe was created. Some acted as if such functionality were a totally new idea.

The original poster asked if any CAT tools can merge across hard breaks. I responded that at least MemoQ can, but I don't know about DéjàVu, Fluency or others. I'm going to be asking more companies' reps about that next week.

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:35
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2013

Hi James,

Dominique just did the same thing, here: http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/258710-merging_segments_across_paragraphs.html

Michael

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:35
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran Oct 29, 2013

Hi James,

CafeTran (my tool of choice at the moment) can do it.

Michael

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:35
French to Polish
+ ...
Déjà Vu Oct 30, 2013

James Kirchner wrote:

The original poster asked if any CAT tools can merge across hard breaks. I responded that at least MemoQ can, but I don't know about DéjàVu, Fluency or others.

DVX does for almost all file formats.
Unfortunately, except all XLIFF flavours (including e.g. SDLXLIFF, MQXLIFF).
Some workarounds are possible in the DVX Workgroup version, e.g. export as Trados RTF, process it and reimport.

Cheers
GG

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:35
English
edit source Oct 30, 2013

For some file formats you can achieve it using Edit source in Studio, but it's not recommended officially.

Cheers,
Luis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging segments across hard breaks

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search