Studio 2009 doesn't import all TUs to TM
Thread poster: tradualba
tradualba
Spain
Local time: 10:18
Oct 30, 2013

Hello everybody!

My question is related to translation memories in Trados 2009.

I have created a TMX from an original file (in French) and its translation into Spanish thanks to Align Asisist. After that, I created a memory in Trados Studio 2009 and imported my TMX. The thing is, only 6,000 translation units out of 11,000 were imported. The missing united translations are those in which there are tags.

I tried creating the new memory from Trados Workbench, but the same happened.

Does anyone know why is this happening?

Thank you very much in advance

Alba

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It could be they are not needed... Oct 30, 2013

... as Studio does clean up on import and many things such as number only segments, duplicates etc. are stripped out because Studio doesn't need them to be in there.

The best thing is to look at the exclusion report available at the end of the import process and you may find the reason for this in there.

Alternatively we can take a look at this for you if you like?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

tradualba
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your help... Oct 31, 2013

...but I still can't find where the problem is.

May I send you the tmx files so that you can try to figure out what is happening?

Many thanks!

yukilla
Local time: 09:18
English to Japanese
+ ...
The same problem with the Studio 2014 Apr 2, 2014

Hello,

I am using the Trados Studio 2014 11.0.3709.0 and noticed the same problem as Alba.
In my case, I am importing only for the use in Studio version.

When the software finishes importing a tmx file, I get a dialog saying:

Read: 458994 Imported: 306108 Errors: 9

And a success icon (a green checkmark) appears next to the import and fuzzy indexing tasks. I suppose import was successful but the numbers of TUs are so different I am a bit worried. Almost 150000 TUs were read but not imported according to the numbers above. I don't think I can check 150000 TUs manually.

Do I have to worry about missing TUs or these 150000 TUs are duplication as you suggested above?
Is there anyway I can know?

Thank you!

Yuka

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Clean up on import Apr 2, 2014

yukilla wrote:

Do I have to worry about missing TUs or these 150000 TUs are duplication as you suggested above?

Hi,

When you import or upgrade a legacy TM Studio will "clean it up". So things that were needed and were often unnecessarily added in the legacy applications will be rationalised. For example, if you have number only segments in the TM Studio will keep the first one and remove all the rest because numbers are handled as placeholders (assuming it can recognise the numbers as numbers... sometimes it does not if the formatting is unexpected). Same thing would apply to dates for example or any other recognised placeable.

Similarly true duplicates will be removed.

Errors will be invalid TUs. So for example, if you have a TU with a source and no target text in it then this would be removed and reported as an error.

Normally at the end of the import/upgrade when you see the results you can click on the results and open an xml file that explains what was done.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

yukilla
Local time: 09:18
English to Japanese
+ ...
Thank you! Apr 2, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your explanation. I guess I don't have to be worry too much about the difference. I will check it more closely when I do the next import and look for the xml file you suggest.

Kind regards,

Yuka

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 doesn't import all TUs to TM

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search