Trados 2014: Can't add terms to MultiTerm
Thread poster: prmueller

prmueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:57
Member (2008)
English to German
Nov 1, 2013

I am using Trados 2014 (Freelance version) on Windows 7. Everything worked fine until a couple of days ago, when MultiTerm stopped working out of the blue. When I mark terms in the editor and chose to add them to MT, I get a blank screen for the MultiTerm entry and the following error message:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 93
Letter: 2
Error: The object does not support this property or method.
Code: 0
URL: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Common%20Files/SDL/MultiTerm11/Editor/script/connector.js

I get an option to continue the script. Pressing both yes or no results in nothing. My term is not added to the term base.

Fixes and troubleshooting I tried (without success)
  • Updating Java – I got a message about a new Java version (after the problem occurred) and installed it

• Opening the MultiTerm application and trying to add terms manually to the term base – I got the same blank window

• Creating a new TermBase

• Uninstalling MultiTerm and re-installing it

I tried opening my existing term base in Trados 2011; there I can add new terms without any problems.

Any hints would be appreciated.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-01 17:31 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:57
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Recent Java update breaks MultiTerm Nov 1, 2013

For more details see MultiTerm 2014 stopped working after updating to Java 7 update 45.

If the above error persists after reinstalling Java update 25; from the Java Control Panel (under Windows Control Panel) try to set the security settings to High or Medium.

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
This did not fix it Nov 1, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:

For more details see MultiTerm 2014 stopped working after updating to Java 7 update 45.

If the above error persists after reinstalling Java update 25; from the Java Control Panel (under Windows Control Panel) try to set the security settings to High or Medium.

Thanks for the suggestion. I de-installed Java and MutliTerm, restarted Windows, installed MultiTerm (with Java 7 update 25, as provided by the installer). I also set the Java security settings to medium. Still see the problem.

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I found a solution! Nov 1, 2013

I went to the File tab on the Ribbon and opened Options at the bottom of the left side bar. In the Options dialog box I found (at the very bottom) an option to Start the Java runtime environment, which only has one option: Starting Java when you start Trados. I marked it, quit Trados and relaunched it again. Now it works.

Big sigh of relief!

Florina Parvanova
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It does not work. Jan 11, 2014

It does not work. Is there anything else to do? Which Java version?

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Be extremely careful with Java updates Jan 13, 2014

Hi Florina,

Trados is extremely iffy as far as Java is concerned. Generally my experience is, that any new Java version will kill MultiTerm. So, do not update Java.

Every once in a while a new Trados version comes out, then updated to the latest Java version. In those cases, it seems to be safe to update Java.

I am currently running Trados 2014 - 11.0.3688.0, my Java version is 1.7.0_45.

Yves Lanthier
Canada
Local time: 09:57
Member (2011)
English to French
Checking box "Starting Java when you start Trados" didn't solve... Jan 31, 2014

Same versions as you, Trados 2014 11.0.3688.0, Java 1.7.0_45.
A pop message says (again) that "Java wasn't installed properly" when re-opening Studio 2014.
I had it at last with Studio 2011, well, partly. Thought this would have evolved with 2014...

[Modifié le 2014-01-31 18:20 GMT]

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Latest Java Version is 1.7.0_51 Jan 31, 2014

Hi,

The latest version is 51 and had no issue(s) so far with the update.

HTH,

Bernard

Danae Seemann  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Thanks PRMueller Feb 10, 2014

prmueller wrote:

I went to the File tab on the Ribbon and opened Options at the bottom of the left side bar. In the Options dialog box I found (at the very bottom) an option to Start the Java runtime environment, which only has one option: Starting Java when you start Trados. I marked it, quit Trados and relaunched it again. Now it works.

Big sigh of relief!

Thanks for that, PR. I was just starting to get frustrated when I decided to have a quick look at the forums, and lo and behold! Your fix worked perfectly!

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
On the other hand: If Trados updates, you better update Java. Well, sometimes. Feb 22, 2014

Oh, how I love it, SDL! You sent me an automatic update (patch) to Trados 2014, and without any note, any warning, my Multiterm was dead.

Turned out: To avoid Multiterm nightmares, I had turned off the automatic updates for Java. Now, with a new version of Trados, my old version of Java would not do for Multiterm. So, with shaking knees (you never know wether this will blow your Multiterm even more) I updated Java to the latest version manually.

And, tears in my eyes, this time it worked. I got Multiterm back.

All: I still don't think it's a good idea to have manual Java update activated. New Java versions tend to kill Multiterm. Only after a while, when SDL releases a new patch and then Multiterm stops working, you should also manually do the Java update.

SDL, if you should read this: The SDL implementation of Java sucks, and it sucks really bad. It is painfully slow when using it, extremely iffy and suspect to bugs. It makes me feel like playing Russian roulette. It's a disgrace for a software that claims to be made for professional use. Really. You guys are programmers. Why don't you actually come up with a solution that simply works and doesn't force translators to become computer geeks in order to use it?

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Getting awat from Java Feb 22, 2014

prmueller wrote:
Why don't you actually come up with a solution that simply works and doesn't force translators to become computer geeks in order to use it?

As far as I know, SDL plans to release a patch or an SP or something later on this year that will get away from Java. However, I'm not sure if it will be a full-fledged replacement of MT or just a basic glossary module (which is what most users use).

verduzco  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Multiterm sucks Feb 23, 2014

I am unable to add terms to a term base when working with Trados 2014. I followed the advice here with no results.
I have never had any such problems with DejaVu and Wordfast.

Bernardo Calhanas  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
same problem Feb 26, 2014

Same problem here. any solutions?

Daniel Chan  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:57
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I have the same problem. Feb 27, 2014

prmueller wrote:

I am using Trados 2014 (Freelance version) on Windows 7. Everything worked fine until a couple of days ago, when MultiTerm stopped working out of the blue. When I mark terms in the editor and chose to add them to MT, I get a blank screen for the MultiTerm entry and the following error message:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 93
Letter: 2
Error: The object does not support this property or method.
Code: 0
URL: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Common%20Files/SDL/MultiTerm11/Editor/script/connector.js

I get an option to continue the script. Pressing both yes or no results in nothing. My term is not added to the term base.

Fixes and troubleshooting I tried (without success)
  • Updating Java – I got a message about a new Java version (after the problem occurred) and installed it

• Opening the MultiTerm application and trying to add terms manually to the term base – I got the same blank window

• Creating a new TermBase

• Uninstalling MultiTerm and re-installing it

I tried opening my existing term base in Trados 2011; there I can add new terms without any problems.

Any hints would be appreciated.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-01 17:31 GMT]

Daniel Chan  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:57
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I have the same problem. "Java Update Needed" pop up all the times. Feb 27, 2014

"Java Update Needed"

Cannot add item in MultiTerm 2014 using Java 7 25 32 bit.
I follow all the steps noted in: http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4956&source=article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4956
"After installing Java 7 Update 45, you can no longer add/edit terms in SDL Trados Studio or SDL MultiTerm 2011/2014"
In the Java Control Panel, under "Advanced" tab, I uncheck the "Java Plug-In" (enable the next-generation Java Plug-in);
under update tab, I uncheck the box "check for updates automatically" and confirm "Do Not Check" warining box, then click "Apply", then "OK". However, every time I add new item in MultiTerm 2014, the same "Java Update Needed" pop up and I cannot add item.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014: Can't add terms to MultiTerm

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search