Thread poster: Anna Martin

Anna Martin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:46
Hungarian to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 2, 2013

Good evening everyone!

I am trying to add new terms to a newly created, empty termbase from Trados Studio 2011, while working on a translation. Problem is, that after selecting the source and the target terms and clicking "Add new term" nothing happens in the Termbase Viewer window.

What I have done so far:

Updating both MultiTerm and Studio to the latest version.
Creating a new termbase in MultiTerm, using the default settings for a bilingual termbase (clicking always next and changing only the languages used).
Adding the new termbase to the project in Studio.
Checking indexes (they are 'English' for English and 'Hungarian' for Hungarian, so I guess it's fine).
Selecting the segment in question, highlighting the source and target term, then right click -> Add new term.

After receiving a security issue notification, I started to look for solution on the SDL website and several forums. Following the instructions, I check the security settings of my Java. It was the recommended High (which, theorically, should not cause any problems to Trados), but I changed it, repopened and changed it back, just in case. I restarted the computer and all Trados applications and tried to add the term again. No error message, but no new term either.

I went on looking for a solution. On the SDL website, I found something about my security suite and some file extesion which should be added as exceptions. After looking into the manual of ESET (my security suite), I could not find where to add certain file extensions, so I just excluded all SDL applications from the security scanning.

Then: restarting computer, restarting MultiTerm, deleting termbase, creating new termbase, deleting old termbase from Studio project, adding new term base to Studio project, Term Viewer appears, trying to add new term, nothing, getting a bit annoyed, asking for help here.

Thank you or any advice!

Spain
Hungarian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have also trid ticking and unticking Nov 2, 2013

'Start Java Runtime Engine when starting SDL Trados Studio' in Tools/Options.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:46
English to Hebrew
+ ...
What version of Java is installed? Nov 2, 2013

If it is Java 7 update 45, remove it and install update 25 instead.
Also, and even before that, try to change the security setting to Medium, just for testing purposes at this stage.

Spain
Hungarian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved - with an even older Java version Nov 2, 2013

Thank you for your quick answer Shai Nave.

Lower security or returning to Java 7 update 25 did not work, so I uninstalled Java completely, just to see what happens. I restarted Studio and tried to add the term again. A message appeared about Java Runtime Environment 6 update 26 wanting to access my computer. I told it to do so, and installed this appearingly stoneage vesion of Java. Now adding terms in Trados works. Hurray. I don't really know though, wheather 'downdating' Java would have any drawbacks on other functions of my computer.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:46
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Great Nov 2, 2013

And sorry for misleading you about the Java version, I misread you initial post and thought that you are referring to Studio 2014.

The Java version should not have any effect on the performance of other Java based programs that you may have (quite possible that you don't have any). The only concern is security-related but this is not something to worry to much about at this point.

Spain
Hungarian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It wasn't misleading at all Nov 2, 2013

in fact, you helped me to realize that it was something to do with the Java version. I've just put here thefinal solution in case someone else had the same issue with Studio 2011.

Thanks again.

Paolo Sebastiani  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Same problem for SDL Trados Studio 2014 Nov 9, 2013

Hi Anna,
I am facing the same problem with my new MultiTerm 2014 version. Have you find a solution yet? Please advise me if by any chance you have solved the problem and wich procedure you have followed. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Paolo Sebastiani

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
KB 4956 Nov 9, 2013

Hi Paolo,

We're all having Java-related problems with MT 2014.

You might want to subscribe to Knowledge Base article 4956 by clicking on "Article Subscription" in the right-hand sidebar.

You will then be notified every time the article is updated.

SSDA

Giles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New terms cannot be added to newly created Termbase - Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search