Thread poster: Charles Stanford

Charles Stanford  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:26
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2013

Hope someone can help with this please. I have got Studio 2009 and Office 2013. Studio cannot open Word 2013 files - I have worked around that by just saving them as Word 97-2003 docs. I think I did the same thing with Excel files and it used to work (cannot open them as Excel 2013 and I get the error messages: "the file was not created by supported version of Microsoft Excel application and will not be processed" and "File was not created in Microsoft Office 2007") and I am pretty sure that I used to be able to open them before if I saved them as an Excel 97-2003 doc., but when I try my workaround now - saving it as an Excel 97-2003 doc. and opening it in Studio 2009, then I cannot open it either now and get the message: "This .xls file cannot be processed because Microsoft Excel 2000, XP (2002) or 2003 is not installed. However, you can resave your *.xls file as *.xlsx and process it with the Microsoft Excel 2007 filter". Help please!

Adrian Liszewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:26
English to Polish
+ ...
It is easiest to upgrade Studio Nov 4, 2013

Well, Studio 2009 was developed before the Office 2013 was published. Sometimes Studio reads the files created by newer versions of Office, sometimes not. Also, it needs the libriaries that are included in the Office package (like Office 2003). Apart from upgrading to a newer version of Studio, there is one workaround that I know of: copy the tables/cells from the Excel into a MS Word document and have it translated in Studio - but please make sure you can revert back to xls file before spending a few hours on translation! (unfortunatelly, converting to an OpenOffice format and have it translated also fails, as Studio 2009 does not include necessary OpenOffice filters).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open Excel files with Studio 2009

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search