There's any way I could buy Trados 2007?
Thread poster: Mara Marinoni

Mara Marinoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
Nov 6, 2013

Hi all,

Unfortunately when I purchased my SDL Trados Freelancer Plus I didn't noticed that I took the version without the Trados Suite 2007.

I need it (because of server TMs) but I can not find it anywhere and SDL said thye don't sell it anymore.

There is any (legal) way I could find it?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:52
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Maybe someone is selling it or try to use an OX app Nov 6, 2013

I have no idea if among its other great feature the AnyTM Translation Provider OX app can connect to a Trados 2007 server, but there is a free trial so it might be worth giving it a try.

Also, maybe someone is selling their Trados 2007 license on ProZ Exchange.

However, before investing in any of the above, if and when, you should consider if it is worth the investment in light of the expected workload.

[Edited at 2013-11-06 14:37 GMT]

Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 6, 2013

Shai for your kind advice!

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:52
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
There's any way I could buy Trados 2007? Nov 7, 2013

Hi Mara,

This is Steve Whale from SDL.
Could you give me your last 6 digit order number please so that I can check the actual stand of your licenses.
I can then advise on the best possible solution and way forward.

Kind regards

Steve

Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
My last six digit order number Nov 7, 2013

Hi Steve,

My last six digit order number: 295256

Thank you,

Mara

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:52
English
Just a little clarification here... Nov 7, 2013

... as Mara didn't mention what kind of Server TMs they wanted to connect to, although it seems obvious from the initial post that it must be 2007 Server.

So, the AnyTM app, is for connecting to any Studio TM and this can be filebased or Server based. The point of this app is to allow you to ignore the language restraints, so if you wanted to connect to an en(US) - de(DE) Translation Memory and you were working on an en(GB) - de(CH) Project then the AnyTM is the plugin you need because this allow you to do this.

There is also a 2007 TM Provider plugin, also available through the OpenExchange for free, and this allows you to connect directly to a 2007 filebased TM. The access is read only, but it does save you having to update large 2007 TMs as you just read them and update your Studio TM instead. I am aware of at least one customer who did customise this application for themselves so it can be used to connect to 2007 Server based TMs but they have not made this publicly available.

So if you need Trados 2007 to be able to connect to a Trados 2007 Server TM, and in particular if you need to be able to write to that 2007 TM rather than just read it, then you do indeed need to be working with Trados 2007 yourself. This, and 2007 MultiTerm Server, are probably the two reasons you still need a copy of Trados 2007. It's easily worked around of course, but if you are working collaboratively with others in realtime then there is no workaround.

Hopefully the usecase for this particular scenario is now very small indeed!

Regards

Paul

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:52
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
If the demo version of TRADOS 2007 is of use for this case ..... Nov 7, 2013

... I will glady share it with you.

I have never tried to access Server TMs using it, but given that in this case TWB is not going to handle a local TM with more than 100 TUs, I think it could work. By the way, the SDL Trados 2007 Installation Guide does not list any restriction in that sense.

Saludos

Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Nov 8, 2013

Thank you all for your useful advice.

I think I will need to work with Trados 2007, as I already know that when working on their 2007 Server I will also have to update the TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

There's any way I could buy Trados 2007?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search