Thread poster: MikeTrans

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 03:22
Italian to German
+ ...
Nov 7, 2013

@Trados Support,

Now it comes to that - sorry, but I cannot afford to spend more time.

Using Studio 2014 v. 11.0.3636.

First, Studio worked fine with the Java versions 24,25 (I have enabled running Java Engine in the Options), then, out of the blue I get Java error messages saying I'm using an unsafe version of Java when starting Studio.
Changing to softer security settings in the Java console doesn't help, I've set to allow "unsafe Java versions" and also disabled any updates to avoid running into the Java 45 trouble (see other post).
No go for me.

As I already have suggested with Studio 2009: What about a Multiterm using the Revlex engine (*) instead of Java?

(*) Not sure if I get the engine name right, but the new Studio engine is way faster that its predecessor. So why not changing Multiterm in the process?

When you are ready to do that, thanks for posting this info here in the forums, I will be glad to give it a new try.

Best regards,
Mike

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back on track, but for some time, I hope... Nov 8, 2013

Ok, a new repair try in my spare time...

I followed the KB instructions for the Java v. 7 update 45, although I didn't have that one installed.

I removed my older Java version /, now installed and active are

- 1.7.0_25
- 1.6.0_24

Java console has changed with all functionality as in the KB (prior I was not able to set security, also no update tab).

The fact is: Studio / Multiterm has installed Java, but it hasn't activated it, hummm...

No more Java errors after the KB workaround, terms can be added.
I hope: for a longer time!

Mike

[Edited at 2013-11-08 03:24 GMT]

Eric MARRET  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
why do I need java? Nov 8, 2013

Hi!

I have Studio 2014 installed and I am using it without any issue.

I did not tick the option of launching Java Engine (that option wasn't present on Studio 2011).

It's working fine with local projects, Multiterm and TMs, also with online projects and TMs.

What is the use of this option?

Thanks

Eric

Win 7-64; Studio 2014

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ask all this to SDL,,, Nov 8, 2013

Hi Eric,
yes, what is Java? Ask it to SDL. They are glued to it for so many years, so I guess they know something all of us common translators don't !
As for having no issues, well, you must - at least currently - be the luckiest guy in the translation industry...
The posts in this forum (and the SDL's Knowledgebase) are speaking another language, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-11-08 18:43 GMT]

France
Member (2006)
English to French
Java disabled, Studio works fine Nov 13, 2013

Hi Mike,

My question was: if Studio is running fine with Java Engine NOT enabled, what is the use of enabling it?
Since it's now an option in Studio 2014, I suppose it may be useful for some reason, in some cases, but I don't know which.

Thank you for letting me know I am luckyicon_smile.gif

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Option is when, not if, to start Java Nov 13, 2013

Eric MARRET wrote:

I did not tick the option of launching Java Engine

This option is to start Java when you start Studio. If it's not activated, and then you want to add a term to your termbase, Java will start at that moment.

It was available in Studio 2011 too (but possibly only in a later version).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Fix for some systems Nov 13, 2013

Some systems had trouble launching Java "on demand" only when you started Editing. For these systems, we provided the option to launch Java at the same time as Studio, which would enable these systems to edit terms.

99% of users don't need to enable this.

Cheers,
Luis

France
Member (2006)
English to French
Thanks Nov 13, 2013

Thanks Emma and Luis

So in fact I am maybe running Java without knowing it...
As long as it works fine, I don't really care!

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Too many Java errors - Aborting trial of Studio 2014

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search