Thread poster: Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Local time: 10:18
Member (2008)
English
Nov 8, 2013

Hi,

We've had a few occurences where we receive a return package for SDL Studio 2011 (sdlrpx) that does not contain a bilingual sllxliff file, but a cleaned target file.
Whilst Studio does process the package, and the target file is generated, it remains somewhat odd. Furthermore, as we lack a bilingual sdlxliff file, we can't manually update a TM with it.
(so for example, we create a project for a *.pptx file, English to German. We prepare the project, and create a package for translation. We send the package to a translator, who translates it, and send back a return package; when viewing this package in WinRAR, it has the EN folder containing the EN sdlxliff file, and a DE folder containing a translated *.pptx file instead of an sdlxliff)

I've been testing this out myself, and I can't seem to be able to even generate a return package not containing the sdlxliff. How do they manage to do is, is it an option somewhere that can be set?

Kind regards,
Geert

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Only one translator? Nov 8, 2013

Extra Consult wrote:
We send the package to a translator, who translates it, and send back a return package; when viewing this package in WinRAR, it has the EN folder containing the EN sdlxliff file, and a DE folder containing a translated *.pptx file instead of an sdlxliff.

Could it be that your translator is not using Trados but some other program to do the translation in, and that his other program (or he himself) creates the return package that "works" in Trados but which doesn't work like a normal return package would?

[Edited at 2013-11-08 14:57 GMT]

Steven Segaert  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 11:18
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe send instructions? Nov 8, 2013

It sounds to me that your translator might not be so comfortable working with Studio, and might indeed use another tool in-between - (edit) leading to some file handling that doesn't give you the result you want. That said, I don't think you should try to impose the use of a specific tool, but rather should ask for specific file formats (tmx, xliff, ...) which different tools can handle. After all, it is not nice to have to work in a tool you don't like using.

If you do insist on Studio, then it might be a good idea to compile some instructions, as one of my clients does. These tell me what steps to take to perform QA checks in Studio and how to finalise the files and create a new package, which in turn allows me to do the actual translation in whatever tool I like (I'm a MemoQ-fan).

These days, MemoQ can handle Studio packages and make return packages, but I haven't tried that. MemoQ (and probably other CATs) certainly can deal with sdlxliff files.

Personally, I have invested in a Studio license to make sure that I can do all file handling, pre- and post-processing "in house" and can deliver the translation in a format the client wants. But as I don't use Studio often (and even less often to do the actual translation work), I sure am grateful for the instructions I have received.

[Edited at 2013-11-08 13:14 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The OP is not imposing a specific tool Nov 8, 2013

Steven Segaert wrote:
That said, I don't think you should try to impose the use of a specific tool, but rather should ask for specific file formats.

Geert is not forcing his translators to use Trados. He is simply asking for a specific file format, namely... SDLRPX.

If you do insist on Studio, then it might be a good idea to compile some instructions...

...as I don't use Studio often (and even less often to do the actual translation work), I sure am grateful for the instructions I have received.

Yes. The same applies to me -- I also don't translate SDLRPX files in Trados... or not entirely.

These days, MemoQ can handle Studio packages and make return packages, but I haven't tried that.

This video seems to show it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEFjt2P9UdE
...and what the video shows is that MemoQ's SDLRPX file does not contain the source text but only the target text, and not the cleaned file but only the SDLXLIFF files, whereas the SDLRPX files that I create with Trados contain both languages' files (as does Geert's received files). This does not describe Geert's problem, so I guess we can guess that MemoQ is not the culprit in this case.

Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Just curious Nov 8, 2013

Hi Steven,

Indeed, I'm not trying to force people to use Studio. And it's really never been a problem either, as we usually just ask for the bilingual file so that works out just fine.
But as I'm a technical guy, I'm kinda just wondering how a return package can be made that works in Studio (it gets imported and creates a target file, without a single error or warning), but doesn't contain the sdlxliff. I'm still unable to reproduce this behaviour after some testing. (which irks me to no end )

If I knew how this happened, we could help our translators, as some of them are as puzzled by this as I am, as the package creation doesn't seem to have any configurable options.
Also, I've gotten in the habit of exploring Studio's less document features and behaviours, of which there seem to be quite a few.

@Samuel,
Your approach might be dead on, as we're off course never sure of the software being used. And it's usually of no importance to us either. If I have another occurance, I'll ask the translator if they used Studio for this or not.

Thanks for the input, at least I have some more things to go on now.

Kind regards,
Geert

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
this happens Nov 9, 2013

if you finalize the project before creating the return package. Studio will indicate which files will be included in the return package.

Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 12, 2013

Hi Zoltán,

Just tested this, and your absolutely right. Finalizing a project before creating the return package indeed creates a package with a target file. Thanks a lot, now we can at least let our translators know why this is happening, and how to avoid it.

Kind regards,
Geert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Return package question

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search