Temporarily moving Studio to a laptop - best way?
Thread poster: Michael Bauer

Michael Bauer
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:24
English to Scottish Gaelic
+ ...
Nov 8, 2013

I'm going to be abroad for a month and I'm thinking of uninstalling Studio from my desktop and putting it onto my laptop. And then probably back (desktop is just more work efficient). Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Do I need to un-register first or something and then re-register? Or does it simply ping SDL from time to time to ensure I'm only using it on one machine, whatever the machine?

Direct link Reply with quote

Josef Šoltes  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:24
Member (2013)
English to Czech
Depends Nov 8, 2013

If you have PLUS version, then you can install on both computers with licences. If not, then you have one licence, which you need to return first and then register on laptop. But be carefull with it.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:24
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Depends on you license Nov 8, 2013

If you have the Plus package you probably have an extra activation that will allow you to activate Studio on your laptop alongside the instance you have installed in your desktop.
You can check that and verify your activation status in your SDL Account under the My Licenses section.

If you only have one activation, there is no need to uninstall Studio from your desktop. Deactivate (Help > Product Activation) Studio on your desktop (this will return your license to the server), and then install Studio on your laptop and activate it (this will pull the license from the server).
Upon returning, deactivate Studio on you laptop (again, no need to uninstall the software itself) and activate it on your Desktop.

[Edited at 2013-11-08 19:27 GMT]

Michael Bauer
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:24
English to Scottish Gaelic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect Nov 9, 2013

Many thanks, that was exactly what I needed to know!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Temporarily moving Studio to a laptop - best way?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search