Thread poster: Johann Audouin
Johann Audouin
Johann Audouin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:03
English to French
Nov 9, 2013

Hello,

I am currently working on a file and my TM does not seem to detect fuzzy matches, even though it detects and copy automatically 100% matches.

The document is an Excel file, that I opened with Studio 2009, I created a specific TM and checked the minimum match value (50%) but it only detects 100% matches.

Here is an example if it helps (I made it up, this is not the actual text):

I have a list of skills for in a video game:

-
... See more
Hello,

I am currently working on a file and my TM does not seem to detect fuzzy matches, even though it detects and copy automatically 100% matches.

The document is an Excel file, that I opened with Studio 2009, I created a specific TM and checked the minimum match value (50%) but it only detects 100% matches.

Here is an example if it helps (I made it up, this is not the actual text):

I have a list of skills for in a video game:

- Lightning bolt level 1
- Lightning bolt level 2

After translating "Lightning bolt level 1", I should have a XX% match for "Lightning bolt level 2" but I don't. However, once I have translated "Lightning bolt level 1", if it comes up again, I have a 100% match, and it works perfectly.

I often receive Trados projects, in which fuzzy matches work perfectly well. As I created this one, I assume I did something wrong but I have no clue what I can do to fix it. I checked the forums and could not find any specific solution.

Please let me know if you know how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Possible Solution Nov 9, 2013

Is this what you're looking for: http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/blieber45/media/Test_zps1d714266.jpg.html?filters[user]=136107018&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Works perfectly in 2009/11/14!

Cheers,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-11-09 21:55 GMT]

Johann Audouin
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
No, I already tried this Nov 9, 2013

I already checked the minimum match value, it is set to 50% but I still don't have anything else than 100% matches.

In the image you provided, your TM detects that "lightning bolt level 15" is a 88% match and behaves as such. My TM does not detect it as a fuzzy match whatsoever, I really do not know why.

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
TM Nov 10, 2013

Does your TM contain at least the 1st segment and/or is it attached to your project and enabled?

Johann Audouin
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Nov 10, 2013

Yes, my TM is enabled and the 1st segment is already translated.

Johann Audouin
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Nov 10, 2013

I am still working on this project, I did not do anything but the TM now detects fuzzy matches. The good news is that it works, the bad news is that I don't know why

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
TM Order Nov 11, 2013

Did you by any chance reshuffle one or more TMs, including MT like MyMemory plug-in. I've noticed a similar issue when using TermInjector with specific replacement rules. However, with a simple TermInjector glossary, i.e.

Lighthing bolt -> Éclair

level -> niveau

You'll get a 100% match regardless of the figu
... See more
Did you by any chance reshuffle one or more TMs, including MT like MyMemory plug-in. I've noticed a similar issue when using TermInjector with specific replacement rules. However, with a simple TermInjector glossary, i.e.

Lighthing bolt -> Éclair

level -> niveau

You'll get a 100% match regardless of the figures following level - see following link: http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/blieber45/media/TermInjector_zpsaf3bd413.jpg.html?filters[user]=136107018&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I left the TermInjector % at 0% as it's not a big issue as far as I'm concerned.

One more thing, I confirmed the segments manually, right-clicked and changed Segment status to Translated, just to make sure that TermInjector would get it right but if you hit Crtl+T, you'll get the same result with a % from the Trados TM.

Cheers,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-11-11 20:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-11 20:51 GMT]
Collapse

Johann Audouin
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I really don't know Nov 11, 2013

I did not change any of the options you mentioned. I opened several TM when I opened the project, this might the source of the problem.

Anyway, I closed my project on Saturday (after working on my file). I re-opened it on Sunday, it detected fuzzy matches without any problems, even the one it would not detect the day before. It seems that I simply should have restarted Trados.

Have you tried turning it off and on again as Roy would ask...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 - TM does not detect fuzzy matches

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »