The 'w:root' start tag on line 1 position 2 does not match the end tag of 'w:p'Line 299, Position 21
Thread poster: Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 18:28
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2013

I receive this message when trying to save a sdliff file as a Word file with Studio 2014.
I have no idea where these lines or positions are, and I don't see any problems with any tags.
It's not an error message I have encountered before.
Can anyone help?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:28
English to Hebrew
+ ...
How to Solve an Error when Trying to Save Target Document in SDL Studio Nov 9, 2013

Some advice and best practices to prevent and fix issues with saving the target file can be found at How to Solve an Error when Trying to Save Target Document in SDL Studio.

From your description it looks probably that this is a bookmark-related issue, but this is just a semi-educated guess without examining the file.

[Edited at 2013-11-09 20:31 GM
... See more
Some advice and best practices to prevent and fix issues with saving the target file can be found at How to Solve an Error when Trying to Save Target Document in SDL Studio.

From your description it looks probably that this is a bookmark-related issue, but this is just a semi-educated guess without examining the file.

[Edited at 2013-11-09 20:31 GMT]
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Brilliant Shai Jun 17, 2014

Here was I struggling to create a target document. I googled for a solution, found this and your article solved my problem in a matter of moments. Thank you once again

Inga Jokubauske
Inga Jokubauske  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Thanks for sharing the link Jul 22, 2014

[quote]Shai Navé wrote:

It was a great help. P.S. It would be just about time Trados fixed this silly Tag Soup

Nicholas Miller
Nicholas Miller  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:28
Member (2014)
Czech to English
+ ...
Nice one Shai! Apr 29, 2015

I'm a newbie to the wonders and horrors of Studio 2014 and faced this problem a month ago just before a deadline. At the time I figured out that Studio made a copy of the file and used that to make a new project and run it again. It worked for a while, then messed up shortly after. Fortunately I had managed to 'dig out' a target translation before that.
I've experienced problems over OCR formatting in the past with Wordbench. In the end the easiest thing was to export as plain text and for
... See more
I'm a newbie to the wonders and horrors of Studio 2014 and faced this problem a month ago just before a deadline. At the time I figured out that Studio made a copy of the file and used that to make a new project and run it again. It worked for a while, then messed up shortly after. Fortunately I had managed to 'dig out' a target translation before that.
I've experienced problems over OCR formatting in the past with Wordbench. In the end the easiest thing was to export as plain text and format manually when the translation was completed.
Anyway, the same thing just happened again and I followed your link and fixed it. Thank you!
One thing I didn't get - the error message said "line 1 position... whatever", but there were no tags in line 1, so I guess I'm failing to understand what "line 1" refers to.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:28
English to Hebrew
+ ...
The line numbers refere to the SDLXLIFF file Apr 29, 2015

The line number in the error message refers to the SDLXLIFF file (which is basically an XML file, so each line of code has a number) and not to the source and translation table that yous see in the Editor environment.

If you will open the SDLXLIFF file in a text editor such as Notepad (or even better Notepad++), you could review the actual content of line X, but more often than not, unless you know what you are doing and what to look for (invalid character for example) this won't be
... See more
The line number in the error message refers to the SDLXLIFF file (which is basically an XML file, so each line of code has a number) and not to the source and translation table that yous see in the Editor environment.

If you will open the SDLXLIFF file in a text editor such as Notepad (or even better Notepad++), you could review the actual content of line X, but more often than not, unless you know what you are doing and what to look for (invalid character for example) this won't be very helpful.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 'w:root' start tag on line 1 position 2 does not match the end tag of 'w:p'Line 299, Position 21

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »