Thread poster: Rody Correa Avila

Rody Correa Avila  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:56
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 10, 2013

Can someone help me with a simple question. At least it must be simple to experienced TRADOS users.

I just started using TRADOS STUDIO.

I got a 40,000 word document with quite a bit of repeated terms and felt it would be good for me to get started now. FINALLY!!icon_smile.gif

I loaded the .DOC file and created the TM in TRADOS, the original source file was divided by the program in paragraphs (must be standard procedure), so I started translated on the side window, and then learned I had to go on to the next paragraph by pressing CONTROL - ENTER, which saves the translation to the TM.

However it saves the whole paragraph, not just words or terms, it seems, thus when I come across a term like "energy efficiency" which appears many times in the Document, does not give me the choice to not have to write it again as it happens with some individual words.

I am brand new to TRADOS so this is probably a very basic, even dumb question.

My understanding is that one of the main features is that you do not have to keep translating terms over and over. Which would be just great for this project. And that it speeds things up, even when you receive a TM from a client for a particular project I suppose that must be a real plus to mainly simplify, speed up and standardize the translation.

Is there something I should do? Am I doing something wrong in the generation of the TM file for use with the two documents I am working and possibly more to come on the same topic? Is there a feature that has to be configured or changed to get more "offers" from the TM to simply add the term I already wrote a number of times in the translation.

I appreciate any tips and help with this. THANKS SO MUCH!

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm very new too... Nov 10, 2013

I just purchased the light version of trados 2014 and can't actually add termbases or glossaries. Based on what I've read, if you highlight the source term and the target term, right click and select add term, it should recognize it throughout the rest of the text.

Like I said, I can't do this with my version of it, so hopefully someone with more experience and access to those options can give more insight. I think it's kind of silly that we can't do it with the subscription version when we can with with the free version of Wordfast, but that's beside the point.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:56
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Paragraph based segmentation Nov 10, 2013

Dear Rody,

I'm afraid it is not a very good idea to start using Studio with a large paid project. Trados Studio does not belong to the kind of software packages that lend themselves to learning by trial-and-error as you go.

Also, you're mixing up two different concepts: translation memory (which basically is for storing whole sentences or paragraphs) and terminology database (which is for storing individual terms).

That aside, you seem to have activated paragraph based segmentation instead of sentence based segmentation when you set up the TM. Create a new TM and activate segment based segmentation (which, afaik, should be the standard option, but I'm not 100% sure there). You'll find the option under New TM - language resources - resources - segmentation rules.

HTH,
kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-10 10:54 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-10 10:54 GMT]

Jekaterina Kotelnikova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Add termbases Nov 10, 2013

Hi! When I started to use Trados I was overwhelmed so I did the basic tutorial and got the hang of it. What you are looking for are the termbases. You should create one and add it to your project where later on you can add terms. And as you go on with your translation every time you have the same term in the ST it will automatically suggest the term in TT.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
concordance Nov 10, 2013

I completely agree with Erik. It's not a good idea to use Studio for the first time for a large paid project.

That said, what you need to use right now is "concordance" to get some leverage out of your TM. The TM is new, so you won't get whole sentence matches (presumably we're talking about sentences, not paragraphs, in segments?).

Simply highlight the word(s) and click F3 to bring up concordance, which is Studio's way of searching your TM for individual words or short phrases.

For more help on TMs, you might like to read my blog post on updating TMs, just to make sure you've set it up properly:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/

HTH,
Emma

Rody Correa Avila  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:56
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Nov 10, 2013

Thanks so much Tristan, Erik, Emma and Jekaterina. Very helpful tips and counsel. You are all wonderful.

Rody

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:56
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Setting up your termbases Nov 11, 2013

In addition to the advice above regarding TMs, it sounds like what you're looking for is setting up and using termbases (Studio's term for glossaries/dictionaries that contain the terms you will be using).

Maybe this can help:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-create-multiterm-termbase-to-use.html

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Glossaries Nov 12, 2013

Rody Correa Avila wrote:
However it saves the whole paragraph, not just words or terms, it seems, thus when I come across a term like "energy efficiency" which appears many times in the Document, does not give me the choice to not have to write it again as it happens with some individual words.

I'm afraid you misunderstood. Trados does not help with repeating terms, but with repeating segments. A segment is a piece of text that usually includes a whole sentence (or a whole paragraph).

In other CAT tools, you can add individual terms to a thing called a "glossary" (you usually have to add the terms manually, but sometimes the terms are inserted automatically or semi-automatically).

As far as I know, Trados does not have a glossary feature at all. I have Trados 2011 and I have looked and looked and looked and I was unable to find anything remotely similar to a glossary feature built-in.

Even when you create a new "project" in Trados, it doesn't ask you about glossaries (only about things called "term bases", but it appears that those things need to be pre-existing and you can't create them yourself in the same way as you can create a TM yourself, so clearly that's not what we're looking for).

If any Trados users know how to use glossaries in Trados, please let us know.

I know there is a separate program called MultiTerm, which is a glossary tool, which can be used alongside Trados, but that is a separate program and is not part of Trados itself, if I understand correctly. I'm not sure if you get MultiTerm whenever you buy Trados, or if you have to buy it separately (the web site doesn't say).

[Edited at 2013-11-12 08:19 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
Finnish to French
Trados vs. MultiTerm Nov 12, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
I know there is a separate program called MultiTerm,

True.
Samuel Murray wrote:
which is a glossary tool,

The makers of MultiTerm may consider this an insult icon_wink.gif
Samuel Murray wrote:
which can be used alongside Trados,

True, via Java, with recurring issues that are well documented.
Samuel Murray wrote:
but that is a separate program and is not part of Trados itself, if I understand correctly. I'm not sure if you get MultiTerm whenever you buy Trados, or if you have to buy it separately (the web site doesn't say).

When you buy SDL Trados Studio Freelance, a copy of MultiTerm (and several other programs) is included.
When you download a trial copy of SDL Trados Studio, a copy of MultiTerm is not included.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
MultiTerm: separate download, same license Nov 12, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

When you buy SDL Trados Studio Freelance, a copy of MultiTerm (and several other programs) is included.

Exactly. MultiTerm is a separate download (you'll see it in your account) but uses the same license as Studio. So when you activate Studio, Multiterm will be automatically activated as well.

Samuel Murray wrote:
[MultiTerm is] a separate program and is not part of Trados itself,

Yes, it's a standalone program, but the termbases you create and edit in MultiTerm itself can be added to projects in Studio. And you can then add terms to it from inside Studio (Java-permitting, as Dominique mentions!)

Nora's blog (link above) is the best place to go to learn more about MultiTerm and how to set it up.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Emma Nov 12, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
[MultiTerm is] a separate program and is not part of Trados itself...

Yes, it's a standalone program, but the termbases you create and edit in MultiTerm itself can be added to projects in Studio.

And here's the odd thing: you can't create a new termbase from within Studio, but you can add terms to a termbase from within Studio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VERY new using TRADOS--question about TM

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search