Studio 2011 no longer supports Excel in a package I have already started to translate!
Thread poster: Heather Cook

Heather Cook  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
German to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2013

I have imported a translation package into Studio 2011 (around 30k words). I have already translated 18% of the Excel 2007 file that is in the package. Studio was working fine yesterday. Today I opened up the same package and when I try to open and translate the Excel file, the following message appears "This file type is not supported". However, yesterday it was supported. I do not understand what has changed and what I can do to resolve it. I have spent hours searching for a solution on the Internet and in forums but keep hitting a brick wall. Does anyone have experience of this and what I can do to resolve it, other than deinstalling and reinstalling Studio? I have the trial version of Office 2013 installed on my PC. Thanks!

[Edited at 2013-11-11 09:30 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:17
English to Hebrew
+ ...
What exactly do you mean Nov 11, 2013

Today I opened up the same package and when I try to open and translate the Excel file, the following message appears "This file type is not supported". However, yesterday it was supported.

Did you open the project (from Studio's Projects view) that was created from that package, or did you try to re-open the package file (sdlppx) itself?

If the former than I'm not sure that I have any solution at the moment; but if the latter, then just go to the Projects view (lower left pane) in Studio, select the relevant project from the list, and open the file that you already started to work on.

[Edited at 2013-11-11 11:53 GMT]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opened file from Projects view in Studio Nov 11, 2013

Hi, thanks for replying to my problem! I get the same error message when I try to open the project from the Projects view within Studio. I have also tried removing the project from the Projects view and reimporting the project. Neither of these work. The file type is still unsupported, even though under Options -> File Types, xlsx files are listed as a supported file type.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Check under project settings Nov 11, 2013

If the project container is already set, changing the settings under the Options menu has no effect (it affects only newly created projects) on an already created project. Under the Project Setting menu make sure that all the relevant file types are checked.

Also, more for good measure, close Studio, wait 30 seconds, open Window's Task Manager (Ctrl+Shit+Esc) and under the Processes tab, and make sure that there is not ghost instance of Studio there. If there is, terminate it.

To check if it is a general XLSX issue you can create a dummy XLSX file, add it to the project, and try opening it. If the same error occurs the only workaround that comes to mind at the moment is to save the Excel file as XLS and add it the the project.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem resolved Nov 11, 2013

Thank you for your tips. I have since replaced Excel 2013 with Excel 2010 as it seems there is a general compatibility issue with the MS Office 2013 programs and Studio 2011. I have also created a new project using the original Excel file, which I have managed to obtain from my client, and this appears to be working now. All's well that ends well.... for now! Thanks again

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Oh Nov 11, 2013

From you first post I thought that the file was created by Excel 2007. There are some known compatibility issues between Studio 2011 and Office 2013, although as far as I know they are (mostly?) resolved in Studio 2011 SP2 (do you have SP2 installed?).

Also, if the compatibility issue persists even with SP2 installed, there is a workaround to "trick" Studio into thinking that it is working with a file created by an earlier version of Office. For sake of brevity I will link to the How to open Word 2013 DOCX with SDL Trados Studio 2011 video by Dominique who explains the process very clearly (the video refers to a Word document, but the same method should also apply to Excel worksheets).

[Edited at 2013-11-11 14:19 GMT]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 11, 2013

Thank you for the additional information and the link, this is really useful.

Lucy Leite  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can't open my project Jan 10, 2014

Hello,

I was working on a project with several files and everything was running smoothly. An hour ago my computer restarted to install some updates, but I had had time to save the file I was working on without any problem. However, now I can't open my package again. "An error occurred whilst trying to determine file version" appears. I can't open that specific file I was working on either (I get the error "hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character...". And even though I had saved it several times (I've been working on it since yesterday), it seems all I translated is not in the TM.

The other individual files of the project don't seem to be damaged, but if I lose this file, I lose +2000 translated words!!!

Could anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2014-01-10 09:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 no longer supports Excel in a package I have already started to translate!

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search