Trados 2014 misreading encoding?
Thread poster: Jaime Hyland

Jaime Hyland  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2013

Hi all,

I am currently working with CakePHP localization files (using the *.ctp extension), translating from English into German. What each file contains is simply a large snippet of HTML.

They are encoded using bog standard UTF-8. Any text editor will display all characters correctly.

When I create a translation file from them in Trados 2014, however, the Trados Editor shows all apostrophes as "’".

When I open the file using the Windows 8 standard editor and set the Encoding to ANSI, then the editor shows apostrophes mistakenly exactly like Trados 2014. I assume therefore that Trados is parsing the file as if it were ANSI.

This appears to be confirmed by further investigation: when I open the file in Trados for translation, click on the "Advanced" tab and then on "Active Document Settings" the Source Encoding (which Trados won't let me change) is named as Western European (Windows).

Can anyone let me know how to get the apostrophes to appear correctly (and the German characters in the translation to export correctly)?

Thanks very, very much in advance,

Jaime

[Edited at 2013-11-11 12:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-11 13:05 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

ZWW  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 09:39
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I have this problem as well. Jun 11, 2016

I have this problem as well. Not sure if there is a good solution for this instead of source editing.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 misreading encoding?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search