Does SDL Trados already have a Translation memory included?
Thread poster: Adil Nadri

Adil Nadri  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:11
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2013

Dear All,

I just want to know is SDL Trados have already the Translation memory on it or you have to build it from the document you translate from?

thank you

Adil

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2013-11-11 17:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You either build your own TMs or import them Nov 11, 2013

Hi Adil,

The program itself doesn't come with a TM, but it's very easy to create one. As you translate with your TM(s) active, the TM grows.

You can also import existing TMs or align existing translations to import the units into your TM.

Adil Nadri  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hi Nov 11, 2013

Hi Nora

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me how I can import TM do I have to buy them?

I do have a version of SDL trados 2007 and I want try to use it.

Regard

Adil

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 12:11
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Autosuggest dictionaries Nov 11, 2013

Also, in order to save you time to build new TMs, there is the possibility to download Autosuggest Dictionaries which will help you while typing in your translations. You can get them here:

http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/sdl-autosuggest-tab2.html#tabs

Hope this helps,
Mike

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Be careful with other people's TMs Nov 11, 2013

With Trados 2007 it is best to build up your own TMs, unless you know and trust the source of the TM you import.
In fact the same applies to any TM imported into any CAT.

I have a few that I have collected from colleagues and agencies - and they contain a great deal of information that is confidential, as well as a certain amount that is unreliable, in spite of my efforts to keep them up to date and delete errors. If you have a colleague you can trust, you could ask for copies of TMs, but I would advise against it, and I would not exchange mine!

The reason is that they are all mixed up, and although they work for me, much of the content is not mine to pass on.

One possibility is to use Winalign, which is included with Trados 2007.

It enables you to form 'uncleaned' documents from your own earlier work, if you have both the source and the translation.
I believe you can also export directly to a file which can then be imported to a TM, but it is very easy to 'clean' the bilingual file using the TM you want to import to, or a new empty TM, after you have checked that the files are correctly aligned (i.e. that each target segment corresponds to the right source segment). This will add the content to the TM.

If you have never used Trados before, I would suggest that you simply build up a TM from the document you are translating to start with. That is the easiest way to see how it works, and it will make it easier to understand what happens when you use WinAlign.
You can select documents carefully, and perhaps edit out confidential sections before you align them (The confidential sections are often of little use in later translations in any case, as they are names, addresses and personal data etc.)

Trados 2007 cannot clean up Word documents in later versions of Word than Word 2003.

You need to save as Word 2003 (.doc instead of .docx), preferably before you start translating.
However, if you forget, simply save the bilingual or 'uncleaned' document as Word 2003 (.doc), and it will probably be OK.

SDL will not provide support or updates for Trados 2007 from 2014, so you have a product that is almost obsolete, although as long as it works, you will be able to use it.

If you make TMs, you can export them and import them into other CATs or the new Trados Studio later on.

With Trados 2007 you can only work with max. two TMs at a time. That is why older TMS tend to be very large and very mixed.

Trados Studio 20011 or 2014 (and some other CAT tools) will allow you to use multiple TMs, and it is easier to keep them up to date or create small TMs that can be exchanged with colleagues and agencies etc.

Best of luck!

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Translation memory = remembers what you translate Nov 11, 2013

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the rôle of TMs — they are not really 'ready-made translations' you can just boy / otherwise obtain and slot in; they are simply a long-term memory of what YOU have translated, to help you NEXT TIME you have something similar.

So you really need to view building up a TM as an investment, to save you time in the future, and ensure the most consistent translations for your customer. It is NOT a short-cut to quick-and-dirty translations.

As a previous poster has pointed out, one also needs to be extremely wary of the quality of other people's TMs: a very large customer for whom I am currently working gave me masses of previously-translated documents, which I spent hours and hours carefully algining in order to produce a retrospective TM — only to find that 80% of it was worse than useless, and it would take weeks of work to go through and correct it. Not only that, there is no element of consistency, since it is obvious the documents had been translated by several different translators, some of them with distinctly quirky ideas about terminology!

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TMs are usually provided by clients or other translators Nov 11, 2013

In order to import a TM, first you would have to get the file to import (usually a TMX or TXT file) from someone, and for the most part those come from a client or fellow translators that you're working with.

But as pointed out above, that would only help you if there is a reasonable degree of similarity between what you're translating and what is included in the TM. For example, if you get a "medical" TM from a client and use it when translating a legal document, it's going to be of little to no use.

The specific answer to your question is below:

- Creating a TM in Workbench (Trados 2007)
1. Open SDL Trados Translator's Workbench
2. Go to File - New and that opens the Create Translation Memory wizard. Follow the steps there.

- Importing a TM in Workbench (Trados 2007)
1. Go to SDL Trados Translator's Workbench
2. Open the TM you want to import the data into (File - Open). The TM should have a TMW extension.
3. Once the TM is open (you will see the name of the TM next to "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench" in the main Workbench window), go to File - Import.
4. Choose your settings and click OK.
5. Select the TM you wish to import. Make sure you choose the right file type in this dialog box so you can see your TM (for example, TMX or TXT).
6. Click OK, and that's it. Workbench will import the TM for you.

Below is a link where you can see both Trados 2007 and Studio 2011 in action for translating Word and Powerpoint files, maybe it will help clarify how the tools work.

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2012/08/translating-word-and-powerpoint-files.html

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've found it worthwhile to download the EU TMs Nov 12, 2013

See this Proz thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/156256-eu_translation_memories.html

I did download them, and while some strange stuff does pop up, they still prove useful and, at times, very useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does SDL Trados already have a Translation memory included?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search