Thread poster: Rowan Morrell

Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 15:47
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2013

This morning, fed up with being nagged by both Trados Studio and MultiTerm 2011 about my Java version being out of date, I installed a new version of Java, which appears to have RunTime 1.7. So now I no longer have the nagging messages, but there's another problem: I can no longer add new terms in MultiTerm or edit existing ones. I just get a blank page all the time. It's working great otherwise, and Trados Studio 2011 is working fine as well, with term recognition going beautifully. But to not be able to add new entries to a termbase is just maddening. I'm at a complete loss about what to do. Is it possible to realign MultiTerm with RunTime 1.6 somehow? My Java security settings are already on Medium, so that's not the issue this time. Otherwise, how can I solve this very serious problem? TIA for your help.

[Edited at 2013-11-14 03:56 GMT]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:47
Italian to English
KB 4956 Nov 14, 2013

Check out the SDL Knowledge Base article 4956, where you will find workarounds for this problem.

Subscribe to the article to be kept up to date on developments.

New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved One Problem, Created Another Nov 14, 2013

Well, I disabled the next-generation Java plugin as per the suggestion in the second workaround. I can now add and edit in MultiTerm again.

There is a new problem, however, which is that term recognition seems to have been disabled in SDL Trados 2011 - at least, for the project I'm currently doing. When I open it, I get the message, "The termbases A, B, C etc. could not be connected so term recognition cannot use these termbases." Then when I click OK (nothing else I can do with that message), another message appears saying "The default termbase X could not be connected so term recognition has been disabled".

So that's one problem solved and another instantly created. What do I do now?

New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Reversed Nov 14, 2013

I re-enabled the next-generation Java plugin, which fixed the term recognition problem in Studio 2011, but of course now I'm back to being unable to add or edit terms in MultiTerm. So previous problem reversed, back to the original one. All I've managed to do is go round in circles. BAH!icon_frown.gif

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:47
Italian to English
What Java version(s) do you have on your computer? Nov 14, 2013

Have you tried Workaround 1 in KB 4956?
>
Close all SDL applications.
Open the Control Panel:
For Windows Vista/7: Start > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
For Windows 8: Right-click on the screen at bottom-left corner and choose the Control Panel > Uninstall a Program.
Locate and highlight with a click the Java Runtime Environment installation Java 7 Update 45 and click Uninstall.
Install the Java 7 Update 25 version
For SDL Trados Studio 2011 / SDL MultiTerm 2011 (only) users: Download the Java 7 Update 25 installer and run the installation.
>

Do read the whole article, though, because it contains other useful suggestions to get Studio up and running correctly while we wait for SDL to make its peace with Oracle. And don't forget to click "Article Subscription".

Good luck!

New Zealand
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't particularly want to reinstall an earlier version. Nov 14, 2013

I was really hoping to avoid uninstalling Java and reinstalling an earlier version. Just hate doing that sort of thing. But unless these patches SDL are talking about come out very soon (like tomorrow or the next day), I may have to, because the second workaround is certainly no good to me.icon_frown.gif

Thanks for pointing that article out to me though Giles.icon_smile.gif At least I know it's not just my old and arthritic computer, but that there is a major problem with this new Java update.

[Edited at 2013-11-14 11:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-14 11:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updated Java, Now MultiTerm 2011 Won't Let Me Add/Edit Entries

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search