Translatable XML tags - Trados 2007 vs. 2011
Thread poster: PFH
PFH
Ireland
Nov 14, 2013

We are currently translating a large set of XML based UI files via Trados 2007, and all is working well. We are looking at moving our process to Studio 2011. To that end, I have created a new XML file type in Studio 2011 by importing from the .ini file I used for Trados 2007.

The XML files that we translate contain tags that need to be included in the segment for translation, and the tags themselves need to be translated in some cases (their content needs to be editable).

The problem I have is that when I open the XML files in Studio 2011 with my new file type filter, the tags are not being read in at all i.e. they are being ignored, and sentences are being split across segments.

This is an example of a string I might have:
<param name="welcome_message">Welcome to the <Entity entity="0"/> Manager.</param>

I need this whole string to be read in as plain text and editable (including the <Entity> tag in this case) i.e.:
"Welcome to the <Entity entity="0"/> Manager."

Basically anything in my XML files between <param>...</param> tags should be treated as plain text. In Trados 2007, I was able to tell TagEditor to do this by setting the content type of the <param> tag to CDATA in my .ini file, and this works perfectly.

I understand the source XML files are not perfect in that the tags in the text strings should probably use lt; and gt; entities instead of < and >, but this is outside of my control.

Has anyone come across a similar issue before, and is there a way to tell Studio 2011 to handle these params as plain text (like CDATA), just like I could in Trados 2007?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

bungholio
German to English
Parser rules Nov 14, 2013

The settings you are looking for are listed in your Project Settings (and template, and Tools / Options). If you've already made your project, you can update your Project Settings but they you will have to delete what has already been created from the source language and prepare the project again. It's a good idea if you're going to be doing a lot with these files to update the Project Template itself.

I would recommend creating a new XML file type using the XML file itself. This will "pull out" all of the tags that are in the file you select and place them in the "Parser rules" window for that file type. You can then edit the tags (and attributes of the tags). You will probably want to select something along the lines of:

Inline
Always translatable
(and under Advanced -> May exclude so that they will only show up when IN translatable plain text).

My question is whether or not you need to translate "welcome_message" or if you basically need something like this:

Welcome to the Manager. (the param tags wouldn't show up with May Exclude here - if you need them as well, set May Exclude to Include or Include with Text).

If you actually do need to translate "welcome_message", things get a bit more complicated. You will basically have to add a parser rule that allows you to do that in XPath syntax. In your case, I think it would be something like this:

//param/@name

(or just switch the rule type to Attribute and enter "param" for the Element and "name" for the attribute).

I hope this helps you somewhat.

PFH
Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
Parser rules Nov 14, 2013

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is that there's hundreds of these "tags", and they differ from release to release - some new ones are added, old ones are deleted. Basically they are custom tags used in the UI, that translators need to be able to edit. It's not practical to create a list of them as it could be out of date in a matter of days.

Essentially what I am looking for is a way to tell Studio 2011 to treat everything between my param tags as plain text, nothing else. In 2007, I just told Trados that the param tag type contained CDATA type text, which worked prefectly. I need to figure out how to do the same in Studio, as when I imported my .ini settings file and opened one of the xml files in Studio, it won't display the tags at all, and actually segments any of these strings with tags in them onto multiple lines/segments. A real pain....

PFH
Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2014 Jan 2, 2014

I've installed Trados 2014 now, and have the same issue. Can't seem to blanket assign the strings in the xml file to be treated as CDATA text i.e. allow editing of the entire string as is. Trados Studio is excluding the tag text from my strings, which is not what I want at all.

Christian Esquivel
Colombia
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
So in this XLM strings, which would be the text translated? Mar 14, 2014

I'm sorry, but the strings I included in my post do not appear here in the forum, how can I post them?

[Edited at 2014-03-14 16:59 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:22
English
Like this ;-) Mar 14, 2014

Christian Esquivel wrote:

I'm sorry, but the strings I included in my post do not appear here in the forum, how can I post them?

<organizations default="interface_01">
<organization identifier="interface_01">
<title><![CDATA[IP Video Surveillance and Storage]]></title>
<item identifier="course_launch" identifierref="mainindex">
<title><![CDATA[IP Video Surveillance and Storage]]></title>
</item>
<imsss:sequencing>
<imsss:controlMode choice="true" choiceExit="true" flow="true" forwardOnly="false"/>
<imsss:postConditionRule>
<imsss:ruleConditions>
<imsss:ruleCondition condition = "always"/>
</imsss:ruleConditions>
<imsss:ruleAction action="continue" />
</imsss:postConditionRule>
</imsss:sequencing>
</organization>
</organizations>

And I guess the CDATA sections would be the translatable text.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-03-14 16:09 GMT]

Christian Esquivel
Colombia
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Would you please confirm? Mar 14, 2014

First of all, thanks for your help.

Now, if it's not too much trouble, which sections would be translated exactly? Only the information in brackets after CDATA "IP Video Surveillance and Storage"?

Is there anything else?

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translatable XML tags - Trados 2007 vs. 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search