How do you feed unclean/clean documents into Trados?
Thread poster: AKB
AKB
AKB
English to Spanish
Oct 24, 2004

I am new using Trados. I use the corporate 5.5 version. I have the following questions and hope someone is able to help me:

1. If someone gives me a document and supposedly it is in the Workbench memory. Do I need to WinAlign it before running it into the memory to see where the changes are?

2. How do you feed the unclean and clean versions into the Trados memory?

3. If I have an electronic version of a newly created document, can I add it to the memo
... See more
I am new using Trados. I use the corporate 5.5 version. I have the following questions and hope someone is able to help me:

1. If someone gives me a document and supposedly it is in the Workbench memory. Do I need to WinAlign it before running it into the memory to see where the changes are?

3. If I have an electronic version of a newly created document, can I add it to the memory and how do you do this?

Thank you.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-10-25 04:35]
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Many questions Oct 25, 2004

Most people take a class to learn Trados. If you can't or are determined to learn it alone, you could read the manuals and do the tutorials.

Still, it will be extremely difficult. I would suggest you start with a friendlier CAT tool similar in type, Wordfast. The manual is much better and the yahoo groups are wonderful. You can use the free version until your TM reaches 500 TUs.
... See more
Most people take a class to learn Trados. If you can't or are determined to learn it alone, you could read the manuals and do the tutorials.

Still, it will be extremely difficult. I would suggest you start with a friendlier CAT tool similar in type, Wordfast. The manual is much better and the yahoo groups are wonderful. You can use the free version until your TM reaches 500 TUs.

You can find more information at http://www.wordfast.net/

Best,
Esther
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:25
English to German
+ ...
Trying to answer your questions... Oct 25, 2004

Hi AKB,
Reading your posting, I get the impression that you haven't quite grasped the concept of how translation memories work - to understand the implications of working with clean or uncleaned files, I would recommend to start with the basics, and to take it from there.

Interactive tutorials are available for download from TranslationZone, where you will also find the Trados <
... See more
Hi AKB,
Reading your posting, I get the impression that you haven't quite grasped the concept of how translation memories work - to understand the implications of working with clean or uncleaned files, I would recommend to start with the basics, and to take it from there.

Interactive tutorials are available for download from TranslationZone, where you will also find the Trados File Formats Reference Guide, which illustrates the workflows for various file formats.

Do I understand you correctly?
- You receive a document for translation.
- An earlier version of this document was translated using Trados - therefore, parts of this document should be in your TM.
- You need to know (i) how much has changed; and (ii) exactly where these changes are.

For the first point, you need to run an analysis of the new document (Tools - Analyse). The detailed changes will be indicated when you translate interactively - have a look at the Tutorials.

You need a bilingual file to update your TM - this can be done by cleaning up (Tools - Clean Up, with the Changed translation radio button set to Update TM). Cleaning up means removing source text and Trados tags from the bilingual document - hence, bilingual files are often referred to as "uncleaned".

WinAlign can be used to create a database from two clean files (source & target language).

3. If I have an electronic version of a newly created document, can I add it to the memory and how do you do this?

A "newly created" document would be monolingual, right? A translation memory is, by definition, bilingual - so I'm not sure what you mean by "adding" it to the TM. Can you explain?

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you feed unclean/clean documents into Trados?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »