Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 15, 2013

I noticed the progress bar in the list of files is not reliable. Sometimes after translation it shows 100% or somewhat less, sometimes it shows maybe only 3 percent, even if the file is completely translated. Even in the same project. Have others noticed this too?

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:03
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Two different issues Nov 15, 2013

Dear Heinrich,

There are two different issues:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:sometimes it shows maybe only 3 percent, even if the file is completely translated. Even in the same project. Have others noticed this too?

This is related to the status of the segments: After you've translated all segments in a file, the progress bar will (or better: should, see below) show 100%, the status will read "translation confirmed" (or whatever this is called in the English user interface). As soon as you open the same file for review and review the first segment, the progress bar will start over again with the status "translation reviewed". I guess this is what's happening here.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Sometimes after translation it shows 100% or somewhat less,

This is another known problem which in contrast to the behaviour described above (which at least is consistent and somewhat logical) really drives me crazy. SDL programmers since Studio 2009 simply fail to get the basic math right. I know it's incredible, but that's the way it is. The problem persists in Studio 2011 and 2014.

This is especially annoying in projects with a large number of files, as you never can be really sure that you didn't miss a segment or two.

Kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-15 07:18 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-15 07:18 GMT]

SofieM  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Danish
+ ...
Translation count Nov 15, 2013

Hi Heinrich

I too have experienced this behavior - especially it happens when I do a QA-check of the file. The progress bar shows "In review" or "99 %" or less.

Have you tried running a batch task on the files in question? Click on Batch task -> Translation count, and then the files should show 100 % translated.

I have also noticed this behavior, if I get files that contain locked segments, where the segment has the "Translation approved" sign. Then no matter what I do, I can never get the progress bar to show 100 % translated - even though everything has been translated. That's slightly annoying.

Kind regards
Anne Sofie

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But Nov 15, 2013

My observation is, that before I open a file the progress bar might show 3 percent, but after I translate the whole content or almost all of it and close the file it still says 3 percent.
Well, I seen will update to 2014 (next year), maybe it helps.

SofieM  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Danish
+ ...
Odd Nov 15, 2013

Well, that sounds odd!

As mentioned before, if I get a file that contains locked segments. Let's say 40% of the file count are locked segments, then I cannot make the progress bar show more than 40% - even if the file is completely translated.

Maybe it's a bug or the program is built that way?

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation count does not change the progress count Nov 15, 2013

I tried that yesterday with another project and today again, to no avail. Well, it is not so important at all, but it looks funny.
Yesterday when I uploaded the return package to Worldserver the count was alright, that's all what matters regarding my invoice!

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bug? Feature. Nov 15, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

My observation is, that before I open a file the progress bar might show 3 percent, but after I translate the whole content or almost all of it and close the file it still says 3 percent.
Well, I seen will update to 2014 (next year), maybe it helps.

As I wrote in my first post, this is not a bug, but a featureicon_wink.gif. I guess at least one of the segments (3% of the file) in your project is set to "reviewed". AFAIK, Studio will always show the percentage of segments with the highest status present in the file. 2014 behaves the same way.

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-15 08:40 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2013-11-15 10:10 GMT]

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right Nov 15, 2013

The file with 3 % was "in review". When I opened it "for review", I could not search for segments "in review", but when I closed it the software performed a review and now it reads "in translation" 100%.
But there are other files in the project which are fully translated and marked "in translation" 21 % or 3 %.
Well, in any case it is a stupid feature. I cannot see what the advantage to me would be.

Dina Begum
Indonesia
Local time: 21:03
Thanks Mar 12, 2014

Click on Batch task -> Translation count, and then the files should show 100 % translated.

Thank you, Anne Sofie.
I've had the same problem and it's OK now.

Cheers,
Dina.

Ramunas Kontrimas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
more than 100% Feb 4, 2015

Hello,

what about showing more than 100% progress - sometimes I get that: -0.65% (not translated), 100.65% (translated).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Progress bar in Studio 2011 files view

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search