Trados refuses to open .xls files because Excel is not installed... why not before?
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:35
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 15, 2013

I've used 2009 for years now, and it's never refused to open .xls files for me, even though I have OpenOffice Calc and not MS Excel. However, since a couple of days ago Trados has consistently refused to open .xls files not because a filter is missing or file is too new, whatever, but because 'Excel is not installed'. Is that a new licensing arrangement or what? Has there been a policy change? I'm not really impressed, you know.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxnrichy
France
Local time: 22:35
French to Dutch
+ ...
Save them first Nov 15, 2013

in a newer version of Excel, so that they have the .xlsx extension.
The same happens with .ppt et .doc documents (-> pptx and .docx)

I don't know why this problem exists since a month. I didn't change Studio, I didn't change Java (because this would create complications in Studio), I didn't change Office 2010. I don't have Office 2003 on this computer. Most likely MS changed something in Office that Studio doesn't like (the conversion filters? a Java option?).

[Edited at 2013-11-15 21:24 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados refuses to open .xls files because Excel is not installed... why not before?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search