How do you disable the overwrite function in Trados Studio 2009?
Thread poster: chaplin

chaplin
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 15, 2013

lease can someone tell me how to disable the overwrite function in Trados Studio 2009. It is driving me mad. Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What do you mean? Nov 15, 2013

I'd love to help if I can, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by overwrite function. Can you be a bit more specific? Maybe give us an example?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:57
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
It is exactly as in Word - Nov 15, 2013

by pressing the INS button. Or am I missing something?

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
English to Spanish
A related link Nov 15, 2013

Here is a related link where they discuss how to toggle on and off the overwrite function in Studio, including the simple use of the Insert key:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/159923-how_do_i_turn_off_overwrite_mode_in_trados_studio_2009.html

I hope this is what you refer to!

Good luck!

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
INSERT key? Nov 15, 2013

Hi Ségolène,

I'm also not exactly sure what you mean, but when you press the Insert key on your keyboard, your computer overwrites text. Hit the Insert key again and it will write new text NEXT to existing text, not OVER it.

By the way, the bottom toolbar in Trados Studio shows you whether this option is activated or not. Have a look at the spot to the left of the word count when you hit the Insert key.

HTH,

Stefanie

chaplin
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem still there as I have an ordinary keyboard Nov 16, 2013

I have touched something by accident to get this overwrite but cannot find out which key i hit by accident. I do not have a Fn key like on a laptop. When I press the Insertt key on the number keypad it does NOTHING!!!

JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
Japanese to English
Related Issue and Solution Jan 17, 2014

FWIW

I was having issues getting stuck in OVR mode after using Ctrl + INS shortcut to paste my source text to the target cell. Although it was merely an issue of pressing INS to get back to Insert mode, my new laptop has INS next to the DEL key, and add in my fat fingers....

In any case, I was wasting time pressing extra keys so I went to:

Tool>Options>Keyboard Shortcuts

and changed the default shortcut (Ctrl + Ins) to Ctrl + some key far away from INS.

ondrej_hanus
English to Czech
+ ...
S/W conflict Oct 26, 2014

Hi, this can (probably) be caused by software that uses automatic copy-to-clipboard function (such as the CD versions of Oxford English Dictionary or Oxford Collocations Dictionary). When turned off, the problem should disappear. As translators very often use similar software along with Trados (naturally), I consider this a serious bug, but... oh, well.
Hope this will help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you disable the overwrite function in Trados Studio 2009?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search