Concurrent use of SDL Studio 14 and Dragon 12
Thread poster: Maxim Polukhin

Maxim Polukhin  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 24, 2013

Dear collegues, I work with SDL Studio and I invested some time in creation of Autosuggest, Termbases, Autotext, Terminjector.

Now I am more than happy with these beloved tools.

What I strongly believe is that the best productivity when you translate into English can be achieved through concurrent use of Autosuggest, Termbases, Autotext, Terminjector and Dragon Naturally Speaking 12.

I started to use Dragon 12 just recently. So before I invest my time in teaching Dragon 12 I’d like to learn if anybody thinks that the are more productive ways to translate into English than concurrent use of Autosuggest, Termbases, Autotext, Terminjector and Dragon Naturally Speaking 12?

Are there any problems with Dragon 12 performance while working in SDL Studio 14?

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 02:10
Italian to German
+ ...
Dragon will probably not work well with the Trados interface Nov 25, 2013

Hi,
I have no good news for you, sorry.
I have tryed to use Dragon (not sure if v.12) with Studio 2009 years ago, and most of its functionality will NOT work. As the Trados interface has not been largely transformed (from the engine point of view) since 2009, and also because I highly doubt that Nuance has made improvements in this direction, I think the situation has not changed.

In other CATs like MemoQ and DVX1, DVX2 there are far less problems and keystrokes could even be assigned with the help of AutoHotKey to dictate.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-11-25 03:16 GMT]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
Swedish to English
+ ...
No bad news eiher Nov 25, 2013

MikeTrans wrote:
I have tryed to use Dragon (not sure if v.12) with Studio 2009 years ago, and most of its functionality will NOT work.

I have been using Trados and Dragon for many years and I find that most of its functionality WILL work.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:10
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio 2014 + DNS 12.5 working fine Nov 25, 2013

I use DNS 12.5 Premium and it works fine with Studio 2014.

Studio is not officially supported by DNS, and so during initial set-up you have to uncheck the "Use dictation window for incompatible applications" in DNS if you want your dictation to appear directly in Studio and not in a separate dictation window. This also means that some things don't work the way they would in fully-compatible programs, such as Office. (As a trade-off, if you use the dictation window, then all the correction features, for example work fine).

The reduced functionality of DNS in Studio has not been a major issue for me, as I only use DNS to dictate content and not for commands to control the program. My only complaint is that since the upgrade to DNS 11, I believe, DNS stopped automatically capitalizing the first letter of each segment, so I have to dictate "Initial cap" at the beginning of each segment, but I've gotten used to it. Please note this is a DNS issue, not a Studio one.

I have the English-Spanish version of Dragon, version 12.5, and my comments above are based on that. I don't know if the same is true for other versions/languages.

Regarding the original poster's question about the combination of DNS, AutoSuggest, termbases, etc., it has been my experience that for DNS to be used efficiently, it's best to use it mostly in the types of documents that wouldn't require a lot of checking/use of termbases and such on the translator's part. AutoSuggest works based on typing the first few letters of a word or phrase, and if you want to dictate fluidly it's best not to have to be constantly checking the termbase, but rather to know the terms you want to use. So there have been many times, especially with projects that have termbases with very specific terminology, lots of abbreviations, or good Autosuggest dictionaries, etc. where I've chosen to not use DNS in order to take full advantage of Studio's features (namely AutoSuggest dictionaries and termbases).

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Yes, it works Nov 25, 2013

I don't use it much, but just yesterday I went back to it: Studio 2014 and Dragon 10.

It works fine if you remember to say "cap" at the start of each segment to get a capital letter. You have to confirm the segment with your keyboard unless you have Dragon Professional to define actions like these with voice commands (I have Preferred so I can't).

Otherwise it's not a problem. The reason I don't use it is that my work involves lots of drug names / proper names that are usually not worth the effort training Dragon for. I have to add tags by hand, too. But yesterday I dictated a translation that was a tag-free text with patient-friendly information (i.e. all the vocabulary was in Dragon's dictionary). It worked brilliantly.

Of course, auto-suggest is unnecessary if you use Dragon. I switched it off for this particular project. Termbases are still useful, to ensure terminology consistency.

Yes, snap, Nora!

[Edited at 2013-11-25 18:03 GMT]

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:10
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well said, Emma! Nov 25, 2013

I think we posted at the same time, and basically the same observations. : )

I definitely agree that DNS is a nice tool to have, but not one to be used all the time, only with the right kind of files.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Nice surprise for me... Nov 25, 2013

Hi,
My DNS version is not the newest one, this would explain my negative answer, else I don't know.
I was using DNS 11 EN/DE Premim 2 years ago. I remember that I had to use an SDL plugin to export my project in another interface, so to make DNS commands work (the dicating inside Studio was allright, but the special DNS commands did nothing). I was quickly frustrated and moved to another CAT for dictating. BTW, nothing to do here with my positive overall opinion about DNS and Studio.

I'm pleased to hear from all of you that DNS 12 seems to overcome all this.

Cheers,
Mike

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
@Peter Linton, Nov 25, 2013

Peter Linton wrote:

MikeTrans wrote:
I have tryed to use Dragon (not sure if v.12) with Studio 2009 years ago, and most of its functionality will NOT work.

I have been using Trados and Dragon for many years and I find that most of its functionality WILL work.

Directly inside the Trados editor, really ?
I had a lot of trouble and not the time to solve them, so I had to use the TTX bilingual plugin (don't remember the exact name).

Mike

Maxim Polukhin  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Peter, Nora, Emma Nov 26, 2013

Dear Peter, Nora, Emma thank you so much for your answers . I am very glad you helped me to understand that I've chosen the right path to climb the mountain called "Productivity".

Pablo Dittrich
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio 2014 + DNS 12.5 Dec 12, 2013

Dear Nora

I can´t find the location to uncheck the "Use dictation window for incompatible applications" in DNS to be able to translate in Studio 2014. Could you please tell me where can I find it? I have checked it under Tools /Options but to no avail.

Thanks!

Pablo

Pablo Dittrich
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Found but it doesn´t work Dec 12, 2013

I found "Use dictation window for incompatible applications" under tools/options/miscellaneous but in spite of I unckecked it I can`t still dictate inside Studio 2014.

I'm a long time fan and user of DNS and worked fine with Word and Trados 2007. As far as I can´t translate directly and concurrently with DNS and Studio it makes the process slower for me because I have first to dictate in a dictation window and then copy and paste into Studio 2014. So I'm reluctant to use it if the client doesn`t demand it and I still prefer to work with Trados 2007, because I can work much faster

I have the English-Spanish version of Dragon, version 12.5 too.

Could anybody help me to set up the program and solve this?

Thanks!

Pablo

Helle Gylling  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:10
Member (2013)
English to Danish
+ ...
Thanks, Nora! May 16, 2014

Nora,

I have just bought DNS Premium and just couldn't get it to work in Studio and as I was searching for an answer I stumbled across this thread.

You said:
"Studio is not officially supported by DNS, and so during initial set-up you have to uncheck the "Use dictation window for incompatible applications" in DNS if you want your dictation to appear directly in Studio and not in a separate dictation window. "

I did that and voila! It works : )

Thanks so much.

: ) Helle

[Edited at 2014-05-16 17:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-17 18:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concurrent use of SDL Studio 14 and Dragon 12

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search