Marie Hélène AFONSO  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:22
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 25, 2013

Hello everyone,

I have just accepted a short assignment from a new client. The trouble is that I realized after reading their guidelines they require delivery of uncleaned and cleaned files. I am a beginner with Trados Studio 2011. They require a .ttx file and and a docx file. However, I hear that Tageditor is not included in Trados Studio.
When registering, I clearly specified that I only had Trados Studio so I did not anticipate this.
Is there a way I can get around th
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have just accepted a short assignment from a new client. The trouble is that I realized after reading their guidelines they require delivery of uncleaned and cleaned files. I am a beginner with Trados Studio 2011. They require a .ttx file and and a docx file. However, I hear that Tageditor is not included in Trados Studio.
When registering, I clearly specified that I only had Trados Studio so I did not anticipate this.
Is there a way I can get around this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
SDL TTX It Nov 25, 2013

Hi Hélène,

You've got several options download the above from OpenExchange and process the ttx file in Studio 2011 or translate your source file and use SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter.

HTH,

Bernard

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
deliver TTX Nov 25, 2013

Translate then use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter! It's free!

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:22
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Maybe they don't need a TTX Nov 25, 2013

Sometime brokers just throw around terms and file types without any reason.
You already have a bilingual file (the SDLXLIFF in the target language folder of your project) and maybe this is enough in practice.
If not, use SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter to convert your SDLXLIFF fil
... See more
Sometime brokers just throw around terms and file types without any reason.
You already have a bilingual file (the SDLXLIFF in the target language folder of your project) and maybe this is enough in practice.
If not, use SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter to convert your SDLXLIFF file to TTX (a more detailed information on Paul Filkin's Blog).

And just for general information. With Studio 2011 there is another Open Exchange app called TTX it! that allows you to convert your source document into TTX and then translate that TTX in Studio.

And just as a general comment, personally I would advise to take a more conservative approach for deciding who and under which circumstances you send your bilingual work. Or in other words, don't fall for the claim of many brokers that this is an acceptable and expected practice.
Collapse

Helga Lemiere
Helga Lemiere  Identity Verified
France
German to French
Question Nov 26, 2013

Which kind of file do they send ?
If it's a ttx file you can handle this in Trados Studio!

Helga

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Don't just say "Trados Studio" Nov 26, 2013

Marie Hélène AFONSO wrote:
The trouble is that I realized after reading their guidelines they require delivery of uncleaned and cleaned files. They require a .ttx file and and a docx file.

A more recent post of yours implies that you don't need a bilingual TTX file but a bilingual RTF file. Are you sure you need a TTX file?

Well, in future, don't just assume that your client knows what the latest version of Trados is called and that it isn't backwards compatible.

The older versions of Trados were also "studios" but their product names did not contain the word "Studio", so I could speculate that they did not realise you meant "Trados 2011" when you said "Trados Studio". In future, tell the client exactly which version of Trados Studio you have, and also tell him specifically that you do not have TagEditor. Why? Because when people bought Trados 2009, some of them got Trados 2007 in the deal, for free, so some translators who have Trados 2009 (or newer, if they upgraded) also have Trados 2007 (i.e. TagEditor). And some clients simply are unaware that later versions of Trados are not simply upgraded versions of the old program, but are actually completely new programs that don't work with the earlier file types at all.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 10:23 GMT]

Marie Hélène AFONSO
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The source file was a .docx Nov 26, 2013

Helga Lemiere wrote:

Which kind of file do they send ?
If it's a ttx file you can handle this in Trados Studio!

Helga

but they require a .ttx and a docx for delivery.
Thanks for your reply, Helga

Marie Hélène AFONSO
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel for this exhaustive answer Nov 26, 2013

All this is new to me and I feel somewhat overwhelmed. I certainly still have much to learn on this side.
Very nice of you to take the time to reply so explicitely.

Helga Lemiere
Helga Lemiere  Identity Verified
France
German to French
ttx file Nov 26, 2013

Hello again

when the agencies I work for ask me to translate documents they always send me a ttx file. I translate this and after translation I chose "document TRADOStag" under "save the target files as". Cleaned and uncleaned file means here the translated TTX file (= cleaned file) and the sdlxliff file (= uncleaned file).

It's up to the client then to generate the word file with the cleaned ttx file. I don't really understand why they want you to generate the cleaned
... See more
Hello again

when the agencies I work for ask me to translate documents they always send me a ttx file. I translate this and after translation I chose "document TRADOStag" under "save the target files as". Cleaned and uncleaned file means here the translated TTX file (= cleaned file) and the sdlxliff file (= uncleaned file).

It's up to the client then to generate the word file with the cleaned ttx file. I don't really understand why they want you to generate the cleaned word file. Maybe our colleague is right and they confound Trados and Trados Studio !
Collapse

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
There is some confusion about branding Nov 26, 2013

Trados is the name of a standalone program that in 2005 was acquired by SDL and was marketed as the focal point of the SDL Trados software suite. The last version of the Trados brand is SDL Trados 2007, now mostly discontinued by SDL.

In 2009 SDL had released an (almost) entirely new and updated translation environment which they call SDL Studio 20XX.

Therefore, there are two family of products:
1) The SDL Trados family of products (for all intents and purposes no
... See more
Trados is the name of a standalone program that in 2005 was acquired by SDL and was marketed as the focal point of the SDL Trados software suite. The last version of the Trados brand is SDL Trados 2007, now mostly discontinued by SDL.

In 2009 SDL had released an (almost) entirely new and updated translation environment which they call SDL Studio 20XX.

1) The SDL Trados family of products (for all intents and purposes now discontinued); and
2) The SDL Studio family of products (current version SDL Studio 2014), which is under active development.

SDL Studio supports the legacy file formats of SDL Trados - natively or with the aid of an Open Exchange app - so an average user without a very specific and quite unusual requirement (mainly connecting to a SDL Trados 2007 server-based TM and Termbase) should not have any problem working in SDL Studio with legacy SDL Trados file formats.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 18:41 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Helga and @Shai Nov 26, 2013

Helga Lemiere wrote:
When the agencies I work for ask me to translate documents they always send me a TTX file. I translate this and ... It's up to the client then to generate the word file with the cleaned TTX file. I don't really understand why they want you to generate the cleaned Word file.

It is quite simple: the conversion from TTX to DOCX isn't always perfect, and if the translator can generate the DOCX files himself, he can see where the TTX file needs to be altered to make sure that the DOCX file looks good. Also, some things can't be done in TTX but only in the final DOCX file, and the client might prefer that the translator do it. In your (Helga's) case, your clients probably ask a second translator to fix any problems in the DOCX file.

Shai Nave wrote:
1) The SDL Trados family of products (for all intents and purposes now discontinued); and
2) The SDL Studio family of products (current version SDL Studio 2014), which is under active development.

Were it that simple! But unfortunately the name "Trados" is still being used for the "Studio" family of products. If you go to the Trados web site, you'll see they call the product "SDL Trados Studio 2014", not "SDL Studio 2014". And since there isn't a non-Studio version of the version 2014, it is perfectly unambiguous IMO to call it "Trados 2014" informally.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I half agree... Nov 27, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Shai Nave wrote:

Were it that simple! But unfortunately the name "Trados" is still being used for the "Studio" family of products. If you go to the Trados web site, you'll see they call the product "SDL Trados Studio 2014", not "SDL Studio 2014". And since there isn't a non-Studio version of the version 2014, it is perfectly unambiguous IMO to call it "Trados 2014" informally.

The products are;

Trados xxxx
SDL Trados xxxx
SDL Trados xxxx Suite
SDL Trados Studio xxxx

So the only "Studio" flavour is the new application using SDLXLIFF as the bilingual format. But I agree on the use of the name Trados. My personal view is it should be dropped... not least to prevent the brand name from getting any longer!

Regards

Paul

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You are right, Samuel Nov 27, 2013

I didn't follow SDL's marketing/promotional content for Studio very closely and therefore mistakenly assumed that the Trados brand was dropped, based largely on how the products are being referred to in the 'professional' circles; but evidently I was wrong. Too bad if you ask me because it might cause more confusion than benefit (I hardly think that the Trados brand carries the sort of reputation that justifies keeping it, possibly for prosperity, but this is only from a perspective of an outsid... See more
I didn't follow SDL's marketing/promotional content for Studio very closely and therefore mistakenly assumed that the Trados brand was dropped, based largely on how the products are being referred to in the 'professional' circles; but evidently I was wrong. Too bad if you ask me because it might cause more confusion than benefit (I hardly think that the Trados brand carries the sort of reputation that justifies keeping it, possibly for prosperity, but this is only from a perspective of an outsider looking in and besides the point anyway). Thank you for pointing that out.

In light of this I will revise my above post to say that for clarity of discussion I recommend users to use the term Trados when referring to Trados 2007 or earlier, and the term Studio when referring to Studio 2009, 2011, and 2014 (the latest version currently). Even if this is not 100% in line with SDL's branding, I think that it makes things much more clearer for daily use.

The fact that for the vast majority of users SDL (Trados) Studio 2011 and 2014 fully support legacy Trados file formats - natively or using an Open Exchange app - remains that same.

Furthermore, I would recommend avoiding as much as possible working with those brokers who choose to work with one first and foremost based on the identity of the translation tool one is using, rather than one expertise and skills - there is too much of that going on as it is and as far as I'm concerned it should not be encouraged or taken as an acceptable practice.
It is also worth noting that other Translation Environment Tools (MemoQ, OmegaT for example) can also process TTX files and other SDL specific formats (and vice verss - Studio can handle some file formats of common and some less common file types usually with the aid of an Open Exchange app/file definition), although Trados'/Studio's filters and/or functions are sometimes needed for pre- or post-processing so it might not be a full proof solution; but interoperability improves, and I think that this is a good thing.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The word "Studio" isn't safe either Nov 27, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:
I ... mistakenly assumed that the Trados brand was dropped, based largely on how the products are being referred to in the 'professional' circles [that I move in]; but evidently I was wrong.

I recommend users to use the term Trados when referring to Trados 2007 or earlier, and the term Studio when referring to Studio 2009, 2011, and 2014 (the latest version currently).

Well, firstly, Wordfast also has (or had) a product called "Studio".

Secondly, due to incompatabilities between Trados 2009, 2011 and 2014 I don't think it is wise to lump the three together under a single name, as if they are the same product.

Yes, they are the same product (with improvements in each successive version) but a translator with an earlier version might not be able to handle a file that was created in a later version (and vice versa -- if the translator has a later version and does not realise he has to resave it as an earlier version for the client, the productivity gains are lost). Using the version numbers is best.

I'm not sure exactly how the original poster's client asked about Trados, but I think that we translators should take initiative when dealing with clients by making sure they understand exactly what programs we have and don't have.

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
There are a lot of Studios Nov 27, 2013

Within the Translation Environment Tools market and beyond it. To avoid any doubt when refereeing to the software outside an SDL focused forum it is probably advised to call it SDL Studio 20XX, but in the context of SDL oriented forum I think that calling it Studio 20XX is enough.

Secondly, due to incompatabilities between Trados 2009, 2011 and 2014 I don't think it is wise to lump the three together under a single name, as if they are the same product.

They are different generations of the same product family, so I don't see any problem describing them as a group as SDL Studio. Of course that when talking specifics - e.g. possible incompatibility issues, troubleshooting, etc. - it is important to specify the version, but this it true for all softwares.

...but I think that we translators should take initiative when dealing with clients by making sure they understand exactly what programs we have and don't have.

It is not that I'm disagreeing with you here because you are right to say that when talking technology the details are important; it is just that I think that we translators should make it clear that the identity of the tools that we are using is nobody's affair but ours. The focus should not be on the identity of the tool - as if it is the one doing the work and we are only there to assist it - but on the translator's expertise, experience, and service level. The rest are technicalities that with a little will, cooperation, and knowledge (usually the missing ingredient; especially of brokers) can almost always be solved in one way (or workaround) or another.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deliver files in .ttx format?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »