What do they mean by cleaned and uncleaned file?
Thread poster: Marie Hélène AFONSO

Marie Hélène AFONSO  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:34
English to French
+ ...
Nov 26, 2013

Hi everybodyicon_smile.gif
I received an assignement from a new client and they ask me to deliver a cleaned version ("without track changes") and an uncleaned version of the file ("with track changes") as well.
Could anyone explain me what this means?
I am a beginner with Trados Studio and I am somewhat puzzled. They also require that translators work with Tageditor, which I don't have. Can I deliver these clean and unclean files anyway?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Clarify with your client Nov 26, 2013

You've been given incompatible instructions.
Tag Editor can't handle track changes.

A clean file is usually the target language file, i.e., your translation.
An uncleaned file is a bilingual file, usually in Workbench format, or as a ttx (Tag Editor) or .sdlxliff (which is the file you work with in Studio).

I suggest that before you start, you ask your client whether you can deliver the translated file (clean file) and your .sdlxliff (bilingual or unclean), or your TM in tmx format.

If they agree, then you can start Googling to see how to export your TM in .tmx format (it's very simple).

Marie Hélène AFONSO  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Emma Nov 26, 2013

for taking the time to reply.
Have a nice day!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Probably they mean uncleaned RTF Nov 26, 2013

Marie Hélène AFONSO wrote:
I received an assignement from a new client and they ask me to deliver a cleaned version ("without track changes") and an uncleaned version of the file ("with track changes") as well. ... They also require that translators work with Tageditor, which I don't have.

You can't use tracked changes with TagEditor. However, they may just be mixing up their product names. TagEditor was part of Trados 2007 (and earlier), and Trados 2007 had the possibility of translating RTF files directly inside MS Word. And if the file is an RTF file, then it follows that you can use tracked changes in MS Word with it. So perhaps they don't mean "TagEditor" but the uncleaned RTF format that Trados 2007 or earlier produced. This is, incidentally, almost the exact same format that Wordfast Classic still uses (and if you do the translation in Wordfast Classic, they should likely be able to open it in their Trados).

I can't tell you how to create an uncleaned RTF file in Trados 2009 or later (if indeed it is possible to do so).

If the client requires uncleaned RTF, then it is not unlikely that they don't have Trados 2009 or later, which means that the formats that you can provide that use tracked changes (be it the SDLXLIFF file with tracked changes or the bilingual-review RTF file with tracked changes) will not be of any use to them. Unless I'm mistaken, you can do the tracked changes in Trados 2011 and then create a "cleaned" RTF file that retains your tracked changes, but they won't be able to use that file to update their TM after they've accepted/rejected the tracked changes.

Let's hope I'm mistaken.

==

PS. Emma seems to refer to "uncleaned RTF" as "Workbench format", but that too is an inaccurate use of the product name, because although one would have used Workbench while creating an uncleaned RTF in Trados 2007 or earlier, Workbench itself did not produce the translation (MS Word did), and besides, Workbench was used when creating TagEditor projects as well. Workbench was basically a loose-lying TM tool that was used while translating in either MS Word or TagEditor.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 10:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do they mean by cleaned and uncleaned file?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search