Best Windows version for Studio 14 on OS X?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:36
Nov 26, 2013

I want to create a new virtual machine in Parallels 8 on OS X Mavericks for Studio 2014. I already own a license for Windows 7, 32-bit, but I was wondering: what would be the best Windows version to run Studio on Parallels 8?

Windows 7, 32-bit, or should I buy a new license for Windows 8, 64-bit? (Of course I won't be using the touch features on my iMac.)

I "only" have the 32-bit version of Office 2010. Do I need to upgrade that too, when I migrate to the 64-bit version of Windows?

Usage: I will use Studio 2014 to QA packages that I translate in CafeTran on my Mac.

Thanks for your advice!

Hans

[Edited at 2013-11-26 09:31 GMT]

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:36
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Windows 7 or 8 Nov 26, 2013

They are basically the same thing. One doesn't offer any significant improvement over the other when Studio is concerned. If you already have the license for 7 (and didn't buy 8 relatively cheap after it came out), I would say stick with 7, especially if you use Windows mostly as a platform for running Studio and not much else.

If you have a license for a 32-bit version of Windows, you also have the license for the 64-bit architecture of the same version; you just can't run both simultaneously (this is true for the OEM version, I'm not completely sure about the Retail version). You can install either and would be fine.
I'm not quite sure if and how Parallels lets you adjust the RAM assigned to the VM, but unless you plan on assigning more than 4GB of RAM to that Windows VM, there is not much sense in installing a 64-bit Windows version.

By default, and except for very specific scenarios that usually involve working with huge spreadsheets, it is still recommended to install a 32-bit MS Office version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Windows version for Studio 14 on OS X?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search