Can Studio 2014 handle Trados 2007 projects 1:1 (no differences) ?
Thread poster: MikeTrans

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 23:48
Italian to German
+ ...
Nov 26, 2013

Dear Trados Studio users,

This is an important question, also because I expect soon Trados 2007 not working any more on modern systems, especially if other Trados versions are installed. Also Trados 2007 is hardly supported any more, what remains are the KBs for past troubleshooting, but this cannot consider new arising trouble with Windows 7, 8, new Java versions also installed etc.

So, to specify further my title question:

a)
If one of my clients still persists in using Trados 2007 (I will put apart SDLX here) and sends me a TTX and wants me to deliver a TRADOS 2007 TTX, and possibly a TRADOS 2007 TRANSLATION MEMORY, then:
Can I handle this with Studio 2014 at 100%, yes or no?

b)
Will there be any restrictions for my client after opening the delivered files comming from Studio 2014 (TTX, bilingual Word, Translation Memory files, doing any operations on those files in Trados 2007) ?

This second quesiton is especially important. Essentially: would it be 100% the same working with Studio 2014 in such a case?

Thanks very much for any non-promotional and clear answer.
Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-11-26 13:01 GMT]

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:48
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If the client provides TTX or bilingual Doc files, it is no problem at all Nov 26, 2013

a)
If one of my clients still persists in using Trados 2007 (I will put apart SDLX here) and sends me a TTX and wants me to deliver a TRADOS 2007 TTX, and possibly a TRADOS 2007 TRANSLATION MEMORY, then:
Can I handle this with Studio 2014 at 100%, yes or no?

Following your question very closely, if the client provides the TTX, then yes, you can both process the TTX in Studio, produce a target TTX and export your TM to a TMX file that is compatible with Trados 2007.

b)
Will there be any restrictions for my client after opening the delivered files comming from Studio 2014 (TTX, bilingual Word, Translation Memory files, doing any operations on those files in Trados 2007) ?

There shouldn't be. I don't work much with TTX, but still do a lot of work with bilingual Word files and the ones processed in Studio work just fine in Workbench.

This second quesiton is especially important. Essentially: would it be 100% the same working with Studio 2014 in such a case?

Not sure what you mean by this. If what you mean is if no one could tell whether a TTX or a bilingual Word file was produced in Studio 2014 or Trados 2007, in my experience that has been the case, but I couldn't speak for every scenario out there.

A word of caution, though: Studio is NOT able to produce TTX or bilingual Word files from scratch from a source file. The input file for Studio already has to be a TTX or bilingual Word (or Workbench, as Studio calls it) file. That means that some pre-processing is needed if you get the original file, for example, if you get a PPT and the client requests a TTX, or if you get a regular DOC file but the client wants an "unclean" file. But there are some great Open Exchange Apps such as SDL Legit and TTXIt that take care of this. In any case, if your client is already providing the TTX or pre-segmented bilingual Word file, then there is nothing to worry about.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 15:24 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 23:48
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A big thank you for your details! Nov 26, 2013

[quote]Nora Diaz wrote:

A word of caution, though: Studio is NOT able to produce TTX or bilingual Word files from scratch from a source file. The input file for Studio already has to be a TTX or bilingual Word (or Workbench, as Studio calls it) file. That means that some pre-processing is needed if you get the original file, for example, if you get a PPT and the client requests a TTX, or if you get a regular DOC file but the client wants an "unclean" file. But there are some great Open Exchange Apps such as SDL Legit and TTXIt that take care of this. In any case, if your client is already providing the TTX or pre-segmented bilingual Word file, then there is nothing to worry about.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 15:24 GMT]

Hello Nora,

it's great! Thank you very much for going in the details, especially your closing advice is really good to know.
Soon or late I had to ask this question, I must make sure I really could take the responsability for accepting jobs involving Trados 2007 in special cases.
I realize that the question about the delivery of a TM is not critical, a TMX export from Studio will be fine.

Thanks and best greets,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Studio 2014 handle Trados 2007 projects 1:1 (no differences) ?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search