Highlighting Text in Trados Studio 2014
Thread poster: Johnnie_123
Johnnie_123
Canada
French to English
Nov 27, 2013

Good day,

I am wondering if anyone knows how to highlight text (i.e. in colour) in Trados Studio 2014. I know that this option was removed following Trados 2007, but I am wondering if it can be done in 2014.

Regards.

Direct link Reply with quote

FrancoisP
France
Local time: 10:21
English to French
+ ...
Impossible for now Jul 9, 2014

Hi Johnnie,

I have the same problem. I just upgraded to SDL Trados Studio 2014, but must stick to Translator's Workbench and Word for now. The thing is I need to highlight texts in different colours in Word files to indicate new glossary terms, consistency problems, etc. but could not find a way to do that in Trados Studio. And no, comments are not a solution.

I created a quick insert button using highlight tags I found in a document I created for that purpose, but the button won't insert real tags. You only get useless text. The software handles perfectly the highlight tags, so you can copy them from source segments, but you just can't create a button to do the same thing. Stupid, isn't it?

Regards,
François

Johnnie_123
Canada
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I hear ya! Jul 9, 2014

Hehehe, I guess that's just the way it is All good though... Nevertheless, I hear where you're coming from. We are in the same boat (or on the same page! I am also using Workbench 2007 as a result.

Johnnie

xxxEsteban700
Colombia
Highlight Text in Trados 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Hi,
I've found an option to quickly highlight text in Trados 2014 SP1.

1. Select the text you want to highlight.
2. Go to the "Home" tab.
3. Click the "Quick Insert" arrow (bottom right).
4. Scroll down to the "HighLight" color option.
5. Click on "Insert" and that's you!

Hope you find this useful

Cheers!

PD: Apparently, you can only use yellow by default.

Johnnie_123 wrote:

Good day,

I am wondering if anyone knows how to highlight text (i.e. in colour) in Trados Studio 2014. I know that this option was removed following Trados 2007, but I am wondering if it can be done in 2014.

Regards.

Johnnie_123
Canada
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 12, 2014

Thank you Esteban. That's very useful indeed

gra  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Studio 2014 - Highlight is not shown in the word file for review Jun 8, 2015

Hello,

Although the highlight is shown in the translation environmet when I export the file for external review the text does not appear highlighted but between highlight tags.

I guess it must be a setting but don't know which, any help?

Thanks so much.

Graciela

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
No setting... Jun 8, 2015

... because the export for review file doesn't export a formatted Word file. It's designed for light editing of the translation text.

I know it was mentioned elsewhere that comments are not the solution but perhaps they are? If you pres Ctrl+Shift+N, followed by a period and then hit the return key, you can add an empty comment to the selected text very quickly. This will then bring your attention to the text in the exported review file.

Maybe it will be useful in your case?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I think Paul's right Jun 8, 2015

Comments are the answer for external review. It helps the reviewer know what you were thinking and how you came up with your translation. It makes reviewing faster and discussions on interpretation are fewere. I insert a lot of comments and most of the reviewers I work with really appreciate it. After all, translation is a collaborative effort.

Eileen

Hanneke Lustig  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2014)
English to Dutch
Sometimes Studio 2014 comments are not helpful and highlighting is Aug 18, 2015

I am glad I read your comment Esteban700 - thanks for pointing out the quick insert highlighting option.

IMHO using comments in Studio 2014 will not do, particularly for projects (e.g. complex book translations with changes in TT formatting) where highlights are a common practice to signal something to the Editors or Subject Matter Experts during the translation process (yellow, green, blue - for indexing, or special focus editing). My solution has been to add $$ or && in between the words I want to highlight and to use a macro in Word to replace them with different highlights.

Greg Irving  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2012)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you Esteban. You solved my problem in seconds! Jun 4, 2016

Thank you Esteban. You solved my problem in seconds! I really appreciate the help.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Hi Esteban Apr 4

Greg Irving wrote:

Thank you Esteban. You solved my problem in seconds! I really appreciate the help.

I can only agree with greg, thanks a lot, I have been looking for this function for ages, and it is not only restricted to one colour!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Highlighting Text in Trados Studio 2014

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search