Thread poster: Akke Wagenaar

Akke Wagenaar  Identity Verified
Senegal
Local time: 16:49
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 27, 2013

Smartling is a web application for translation projects. Companies can integrate all their document translations on one site with their own tm's in Smartling format and Smartling glossaries.

I will be doing a 10 k word project on legal subjects which has to be done on Smartling, and I would like to use my own termbase and tm's in Trados formats while working on Smartling.
Would anyone have suggestions how to do this?

Let's say I am on a Smartling page for my translation project and left is the source. When I highlight it, I would like to have the target content of a matching TU or term in my clipboard content so I can paste it in the target field on the web page.

Note: I have just found out there is an app called Multiterm Widget and I am downloading it to see if and how it works with Studio 2014.

[Edited at 2013-11-27 09:57 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
oops (please delete) Nov 28, 2013

oops (please delete)

[Edited at 2013-11-28 00:55 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I suggest: Xbench (for glossaries) and TMLookup (for TMs). Nov 28, 2013

Hi Akke,

I would recommend using Xbench for terminology, and TMLookup for searching your TMs. I made a little screencast of how I use them in my CAT tool (CafeTran), but they can just as easily be used when you are on a Smartling page.

The old version of Xbench (I am using the new, paid version, but the old one works just fine) is free. You can search across as many glossaries as you want.

TMLookup is free too. TMLookup is still in beta, but you can get a copy by emailing András Farkas (who is also the developer of LF Aligner). So far it runs on Windows, and András is working on an OS X version. Without going into too much detail, let me just say that it is the most amazing index-based TM search tool that I have ever used. For example, I currently have 30 million TUs of TMXs indexed in TMLookup, and most of my queries take only a few seconds. There isn't much info about the tool yet on his website (http://www.farkastranslations.com/eu_translation_memories.php ), but all you need to do is email him as he is actively looking for beta testers.

Michael

[Edited at 2013-11-28 01:10 GMT]

Senegal
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try both Xbench free version and TMLookup Nov 28, 2013

Hello Michael,

This is great. Thanks for the tips! I will use them both.

Added: I can't find any link to a free version of Xbench. Is it possible you send me a link (or the file)?

[Edited at 2013-11-28 07:52 GMT]

FarkasAndras
Local time: 18:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TMLookup Nov 28, 2013

I'm not actually looking for more beta testers. Also, current versions are for testing. The database format will change at least once before final release, so any databases you create will need to be thrown away and created again. Final release is expected in two months at most, probably less.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The free version of Xbench can still be downloaded here... Nov 28, 2013

Hi Akke,

The free version of Xbench can be downloaded here: http://www.xbench.net/index.php/download -> ApSIC Xbench 2.9 - Build 474 (Non-Unicode, Freeware)

Oops, small mistake about TMLookup. I somehow got the impression András was looking for more beta testers. In any case, when the official version comes out it will be a great tool for TM concordance searches. Kind of like Xbench, but then for TMs, and index-based rather than running in RAM, which is why Xbench is not ideal for large amounts of TMs.

Michael

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
short screencast of using TMLookup and Xbench during translation Nov 28, 2013

Hi Akke,

I made a short screencast of how I use both tools when translating: http://wordbook.nl/screencasts/lookup-tools.mp4

Michael

Senegal
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 28, 2013

Thank you Michael,

That's really nice and I will look at it. I already downloaded the free version of Xbench.

Best,
Akke

FarkasAndras
Local time: 18:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Available now Feb 10, 2014

1.0 is up: http://www.farkastranslations.com/tmlookup.php

This is free/open source software, so the usual caveats apply: no warranty of any sort.

Here's a condensed feature comparison with Xbench:
Xbench is paid unless you find an old version, TML is free. (Edit: it looks like the last free version is still available from apsic itself so it's easy to get.)
Xbench is limited to two languages and works well up to about 1 or 2 million TUs, while TML can handle multilingual databases and it can go up well into the tens of millions of TUs. On large DBs, TMLookup is faster.
Xbench can import many more formats than TMLookup, and it allows you to create projects that include many different TMs, ranked wrt importance. TMLookup currently only handles one db at a time, imported from tabbed txt or tmx.
Xbench includes a bunch of quality control features that I have no interest in adding to TMLookup.

[Edited at 2014-02-10 11:19 GMT]

Senegal
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks both Feb 10, 2014

Thanks Farkas and Michael.
I have them both now and will see how it works out.

Michael, I see that you have a large database of terms. Do you sell them?

Best regards,
Akke

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use my termbases in web applications

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search