Weird responses for SDL trados trial
Thread poster: Alfred Kohler

Alfred Kohler  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:51
English to German
Nov 27, 2013

I decided to have the trial prior to buy SDL Trados studio 2014. I downloaded the trial but the software just wouldn't start. I got always the message: "trial expired". Something is wrong, I thought, and wrote an email to SDL. They were very helpful and gave me a link. I used the link and received a trial for a software called: "Sales Force". In this moment I realized that something went wrong. I mailed again and explained the error. Surprisingly I did not receive any apology for the mistake but received the plain message that the received (wrong) link wasn't for me to see and I am supposed to delete this trial with Sales Force. OK, bad enough, but what I read next shocked me a little:

"Regarding the Trados Studio 2014 trial, as the MAC IP address is tracked, we cannot issue any trial.

What you can do, is buying a Trados Studio 2014 and you can return this within 14 days if you are not happy with it."

I don't have a MAC IP, because I don't own a Mac! Why is this big company advertising a trial if they cannot make it work? I think making a potential customer buy the product first in order to test it is not wise.

I still would like to do the trial but I don't want to talk any longer to this lady from SDL. Can somebody help, please.

Thank you

Alfred

Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 01:51
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
MAC Nov 27, 2013

Hi Alfred,

I can't help you with your Studio problem, but I just wanted to let you know that a MAC-address is a unique identifier meant to identify a device on a network. Every networked device has one - not just a Mac.

The lady probably means to say that you can only activate the license on the same device once. The software knows it is the same device, because it reads the MAC code and (I guess) sends it to a list kept at SDL.

Hope this helps!

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 00:51
English to German
MAC is not Mac Nov 27, 2013

Steven Segaert wrote:

I just wanted to let you know that a MAC-address is a unique identifier meant to identify a device on a network. Every networked device has one - not just a Mac.

Right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

The lady probably means to say that you can only activate the license on the same device once. The software knows it is the same device, because it reads the MAC code

Right. Under certain circumstances it is simple to change the MAC, but Alfred should ask a local expert for this.

Alfred Kohler  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:51
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Steven Nov 27, 2013

Steven Segaert wrote:

Hi Alfred,

I can't help you with your Studio problem, but I just wanted to let you know that a MAC-address is a unique identifier meant to identify a device on a network. Every networked device has one - not just a Mac.

The lady probably means to say that you can only activate the license on the same device once. The software knows it is the same device, because it reads the MAC code and (I guess) sends it to a list kept at SDL.

Hope this helps!

for helping!!!!!!!!!!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
English
Trial Access Nov 28, 2013

Hello Alfred,

I think the info relating to MAC address is spot on, but I wanted to add some clarification. The trial is intended to be used by people thinking about purchasing the software, so remains active for 30-days and then it's no longer possible to run it without purchasing a full license. Unfortunately we sometimes see multiple email addresses downloading the trial, but then installing onto the same machine and this is where the MAC part comes in and it prevents the software from being used again without purchasing the license.

I tried to check your account so we could resolve this but I can't find you in our records, so if this is happening in error please drop me an email and we can set up an account for you with a temporary license to give you time to review the software.

The salesforce link was in error. Apologies for any inconvenience this caused you.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird responses for SDL trados trial

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search