Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation
Thread poster: SDL Community

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:43
English
Nov 27, 2013

Hi all

This is for everyone who installed (or wants to install) Java 7 Update 45 and receive problems discussed/described in the Post here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/257963-sdl_multiterm_studio_2014_add_edit_terms_not_working_after_java_7_update_45_installation.html

SDL development addressed this issue in the Cumulative Update 2 for SDL Trados Studio 2014. We recommend that you install the Cumulative Update 2 (or higher CU) via the Check for Updates feature in SDL Trados Studio 2014 in the Help tab > Check for Updates:

If for any reason the automatic update feature is not working, you can download the latest Cumulative Update for SDL Trados Studio 2014 from our Knowledge Base.

For more information about what is addressed in the latest CUs and the possibility to download the CU, refer to KB article:

4947 - SDL Trados Studio 2014 Cumulative Updates

Regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with our support? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P

[Edited at 2013-11-27 16:19 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
nope Nov 27, 2013

Funny, I had used a workaround to get it working. Now that I installed the update, like a fool, it doesn't work again!

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
And what about those of us who still use Studio 2011? Nov 27, 2013

I have no need to upgrade to Studio 2014 for the foreseeable future, and I presume that you are still supporting Studio 2011 incl. MultiTerm 2011?

Will the hotfix work for this version, too?

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Java 25 Nov 27, 2013

I deleted 45 and reinstalled 25 again. What a fantastic "fix"!

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Unofficial patch Nov 27, 2013

Hi Gitte (and all possible affected users)

ONLY for SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2011

PLEASE NOTE: The following workaround that is applied here was not tested nor is officially supported from SDL development yet and was only tested on my own personal machine. There is no support provided if issues appear. To remove the workaround see the Note below the steps.

You can download a small patch that copies the fix to the affected folder.

Steps:

1. Download the MT2011_J7Up45_Patch.zip with a click on following link: http://goo.gl/4rtBRS

If you are asked for username and password use the following credentials:
Username: support_downloads
Passwort: rE4jocZ

2. Unzip the downloaded file with WinZip or WinRAR.
3. Execute the MT2011_J7Up45_Patch.exe (preferable with Run as Administrator...

NOTE:

1. To undo the patch go to:

For 32bit OS: C:\Program Files\Common Files\SDL\MultiTerm9
For 64bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL\MultiTerm9

2. Delete the Editor folder.
3. Rename the folder OLD_Editor to Editor

Kind regards
Richard

[Edited at 2013-11-28 08:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-28 09:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-28 10:06 GMT]

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
2014? Nov 27, 2013

I'm having problems with the 2014 edition but this is 2011: 3. "Execute the MT2011_J7Up45_Patch.exe"

"1. To undo the patch go to:

For 64bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL\MultiTerm9"

It's actually in my 2011 folder.

Now, what exact files do I need to move to 2014 to make this work? What is the actual root of the problem here?

edit*

old_editor is in the multi term 9 folder and editor is in the multi term 11 folder. Now what? Studio just completely closes out now when I try to add a new term, no error message or anything.

[Edited at 2013-11-27 17:45 GMT]

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:43
English to Spanish
Is this a fix for all future Java updates? Nov 27, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

This is for everyone who installed (or wants to install) Java 7 Update 45 and receive problems discussed/described in the Post here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/257963-sdl_multiterm_studio_2014_add_edit_terms_not_working_after_java_7_update_45_installation.html

SDL development addressed this issue in the Cumulative Update 2 for SDL Trados Studio 2014. We recommend that you install the Cumulative Update 2 (or higher CU) via the Check for Updates feature in SDL Trados Studio 2014 in the Help tab > Check for Updates:

QUESTION:

Is this fix for all future Java updates or just for Java 7 Update 45?

Like many other Studio users, I am not updating from Studio 2011 to Studio 1014 until this situation is fixed permanently once and for all.

Right now I have a more or less stable Studio 2011 installation using Java 7 Update 25, with automatic updates disabled for both, Studio and Java, in order to not disturb oversensitive Studio, and I am not going through the same ordeal every time there is a new Java update.

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
MultiTerm Desktop 2014... Nov 27, 2013

...won't even open at all now. This has to be the best Studio update ever!

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Please raise a support ticket... Nov 27, 2013

Shawn Champion wrote:

...won't even open at all now. This has to be the best Studio update ever!

... via the solution finder so an Engineer can help you with this.

Regards

Paul

rnunner
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Fix? Nov 27, 2013

I do not see any improvement. Still the same problems with MT as standalone programm, the same slowness adding terms in Studio, etc.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:43
English to Hebrew
+ ...
It only fixes the incompatibility issue with Java update 45 Nov 28, 2013

The slowness that you are referring to is "by design", a side effect of adapting to Oracle's security concept. This concept requires components to be digitally signed, and the slowness occurs when the Java Runtime Environment verifies these signatures. It should be noticeable only the first time editing a term, but from my experience it usually occurs for the following terms as well.
The benefit from all of this is a better integration that should reduce the amount of security prompts and tweaking - which is quite an issue for some users - and overall make the user experience more stable and reliable (the latter got off to a bad start, but hopefully this was solved).

I think that this is an acceptable trade-off in the interim, but strongly believe that SDL should drop Java altogether as a long-term security solution and for a better user experience.

[Edited at 2013-11-28 00:14 GMT]

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
No luck so far Nov 28, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Gitte (and all possible affected users)

PLEASE NOTE: The following workaround that is applied here was not tested nor is officially supported from SDL development yet and was only tested on my own personal machine. There is no support provided if issues appear.
Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks for the effort. I've downloaded and executed the unofficial patch and rebooted, but unfortunately, it makes no difference at all. I still can't add or edit terms in MultiTerm.

Would so much appreciate your help, as I use MultiTerm constantly, it's such a nuisance to have to make notes 'for later' as new terms and useful additional info crop up.

Thanks in advance

Gitte

P.S. Not sure whether this makes any difference, but I am running Windows XP, and my MultiTerm version is 2011 SP2 - 9.2.361.0

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi rnunner... Nov 28, 2013

rnunner wrote:

I do not see any improvement. Still the same problems with MT as standalone programm, the same slowness adding terms in Studio, etc.

Hi...

...please see the initial post. The CU2 contains the fix that enables you too add/edit terms in Studio/MultiTerm 2014 when you have Java 7 Update 45 installed.

The slowness seems to have other causes. For me it takes maximum 2 seconds to load the entry editor and for other maybe around 2-10 seconds. The first time during a Studio/MultiTerm session it always takes a bit longer to load all the security checks from Java.
The second time it should be clearly faster.

I am not sure but maybe my 8GB RAM makes the process faster but this is only an assumption.
I didn't look for info that makes the security checks processing faster in Java.

Cheers
Richard

Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
not working... Nov 28, 2013

and waiting days for a support ticket to be answered is less than ideal.

I deleted and uninstalled all Java, unistalled Studio 2014, reinstalled Studio. Now I can enter 1 new term to MultiTerm via the Studio editor screen, then it fully crashes upon making another new entry.

United Kingdom
English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Shawn... Nov 28, 2013

Hi Shawn

Shawn Champion wrote:

Funny, I had used a workaround to get it working. Now that I installed the update, like a fool, it doesn't work again!

As Paul suggested, please log a Solution Finder case.

It would be good if you can structure the symptoms and also explain what workaround you used to make it able to make it work with Java 7 Update 45 in Studio/MultiTerm 2014.

Have you followed the recommended steps (described here http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4947&source=article&c=12&cid=23 ):

"Support for Java 7 Update 45 for editing terms in SDL Trados Studio and SDL MultiTerm 2014. This means that with this CU, users can start updating Java without breaking the term editing functionality. Important: 64-bit versions of Java are not supported. Uninstall any 64-bit version and make sure that you install the 32-bit version of Java, no matter which operating system you use. Also, run the Java setup as administrator to ensure that all relevant settings are applied during installation. Finally, after installing 32-bit Java 7 update 45, reboot your computer and verify that Java is working correctly by going to http://java.com/verify. Previous Java versions continue to be supported as well. For any troubleshooting advice, go to KB article 4645."

Shawn Champion wrote:

I'm having problems with the 2014 edition but this is 2011: 3. "Execute the MT2011_J7Up45_Patch.exe"

"1. To undo the patch go to:

For 64bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL\MultiTerm9"

It's actually in my 2011 folder.

Now, what exact files do I need to move to 2014 to make this work? What is the actual root of the problem here?

edit*

old_editor is in the multi term 9 folder and editor is in the multi term 11 folder. Now what? Studio just completely closes out now when I try to add a new term, no error message or anything.

I replied here to the question/request by Gitte if there is something for the users of SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2011.

I'm sorry if this was not clear enough. But it will not cause that the add/edit function stops working or makes you unable to open SDL MultiTerm 2011/2014 or SDL Trados Studio 2011/2014.

Again, it would be good that you open a Solution Finder case and we can work on that maybe through a remote session.

Cheers
Richard

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm/Studio 2014 add/edit terms not working after Java 7 Update 45 installation

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search