Is it possible to use only a termbase for pre-translation (Studio 2014)?
Thread poster: MikeTrans

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 14:03
Italian to German
+ ...
Nov 28, 2013

Hello,

what I'd like to do is to insert terms into my target segments comming exclusively from the termbases without the remaining source text. I remember this was possible in SDLX and is possible in DVX or MemoQ, but what about Studio?

If it's not possible I can still transform my termbase into a TM and set the fuzzy lookup very low, but I think this will not work at 100%.

Thanks for your feedback,
Mike

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It's possible using... Nov 29, 2013

... the Terminjector from the OpenExchange but not from Studio out of the box.

Regards

Paul

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cool... Nov 29, 2013

Thanks very much, Paul!

Mike

Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it possible with Studio 2017? Feb 10, 2017

We used to have this before but not anymore in Studio. Will this be possible in future releases?

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, but there is an easy workaround for doing that... Feb 10, 2017

Hi WENCESLA,
Still Studio 2017 cannot do that directly, but just convert a glossary (there is a glossary plugin in SDL Store for free) in TMX format and import it as a TM. For conversion you can also use Heartsome TMX Converter 8.0 that is now a Open Source program.

Then, to pre-translate just use this new created TM and set the matching fuzziness to minimum to get matches inserted. However this will not work for long sentences.
Currently, pre-translating is not the best thing to do in the 2017 version because the Repair feature will not repair during pre-translating, it's better not to pre-translate and set the auto-insertion lower, you then have the same effect + your matches will get repaired.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-10 18:21 GMT]

Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Mike! Feb 13, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi WENCESLA,
Still Studio 2017 cannot do that directly, but just convert a glossary (there is a glossary plugin in SDL Store for free) in TMX format and import it as a TM. For conversion you can also use Heartsome TMX Converter 8.0 that is now a Open Source program.

Then, to pre-translate just use this new created TM and set the matching fuzziness to minimum to get matches inserted. However this will not work for long sentences.
Currently, pre-translating is not the best thing to do in the 2017 version because the Repair feature will not repair during pre-translating, it's better not to pre-translate and set the auto-insertion lower, you then have the same effect + your matches will get repaired.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-10 18:21 GMT]

And what about using TermInjector for 2017? Would that work in this new version?

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If it doesn't you will find out soon... Feb 14, 2017

WENCESLA wrote:

And what about using TermInjector for 2017? Would that work in this new version?

Seeing the new fragment features of 2017, I didn't try the Terminjector with it (sorry: my 'No' was for a direct termbase pre-translation), but just DL it and try out. Someone else will have to confirm it here.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-14 00:53 GMT]

Elis@bel
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks again... Feb 14, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

WENCESLA wrote:

Seeing the new fragment features of 2017, I didn't try the Terminjector with it (sorry: my 'No' was for a direct termbase pre-translation), but just DL it and try out. Someone else will have to confirm it here.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-14 00:53 GMT]

But Fragment Recall or Fuzzy Repair would not work in case you want to pretranslate the whole file, only when opening the segments themselves, right? What I was looking for was a way to pretranslate the files and insert the terms from the termbase in a document automatically before translating segment by segment... :-/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to use only a termbase for pre-translation (Studio 2014)?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search