Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:58
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2013

I everybody,
I recently updated Trados 2014 with the last service pack. Before updating, I was able to add terms both in Trados studio and in Multiterm.
However, after the update, I cannot add/edit terms in Studio nor in Multiterm.
I got the following message: "the object does not support property or the method save" (my translation from Italian).
Should I uninstall Trados and Multiterm and reinstall the previous version?
Thank you for your help
Bruno

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:58
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Install CU2, if not already installed Dec 2, 2013

No need for any re-installation at the moment. The recent Java version and MultiTerm didn't get along too well, so maybe this has something to do with that.

As a first course of action I would recommend installing CU2 (if not already installed). For more details, see Downloading and Installing Cumulative Update 2.

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CU2 installed Dec 2, 2013

Dear Shai,
thank you very much for your reply.
Unfortunately, I have already installed the cumulative update 2. Indeed, I installed it yesterday from within Studio and since then I cannot edit/add term.
Moreover, I also have the latest version of Java, so I cannot really find another way to uninstalling Trados and multiterm and reinstalling the previous version that worked well..

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:58
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can revert back to the previous Java version Dec 2, 2013

See instructions in the article that I've linked above (read it from the beginning), but there should not be really a need to do that anymore.

I would recommend the following:
1) In Studio, make sure that the File > Options > Java Runtime Engine Start up > Start Java Runtime Engine when starting SDL Trados Studio check box is selected > Restart Studio and try again.

2) Go to the Java control panel (from Windows control panel) and:
a) Under the Security tab click the 'Restore Security Prompts', restart Studio and try again.
b) If didn't help, try to incrementally lower the security settings for testing purposes.

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reverted to previous Java version Dec 2, 2013

Dear Shai,
thank you for your help. You have been very kind.
Indeed, by the time you posted your reply, I had already uninstalled the last Java updated and installed the previous one, lowering the security settings.
Now the termbase panel works in Studio, although it is a bit slower than before.
I hope they will fix soon such problems.
Thank you again for your precious help!
Bruno

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:58
English to Spanish
RE: cannot add/edit terms after last Trados 2014 update Dec 2, 2013

Bruno Depascale wrote:
I hope they will fix soon such problems.

Since Trados 2006, users en masse have been repeatedly requesting SDL to do something in that regard, to no avail so far, other than their patches, if anything, patches that are only useful until the next Java update.

The exact same problem will keep happening everytime there is a Java update out, for as long as there is that dependency of Multiterm on Java.

Judging by SDL's response so far over the years, we can probably assume that they have no interest in solving the situation for good.

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uninstalled Trados 2014 SP Dec 4, 2013

I think I made a terrible mistake to install Trados 2014 update.
Indeed, after I updated Trados I could not add/edit terms. Even after removing Java update 45 and lowering the security settings, it didn't work properly as before.
So I have decided to uninstall Trados 2014 and Multiterm and to reinstall them.
Now the process of adding/editing terms in studio works fast as before.
(By the way, I have deselected the automatic updates in Java and the "use new generation Java plugin" option")
Thank you for your help.
Bruno

[Edited at 2013-12-04 11:19 GMT]

julienwp
France
English to French
Possible fix Dec 4, 2013

Hi all!

Maybe this will work for you (working great on my computer) :

1. Uninstall Java
2. Open a document in Studio and try to add a term in a termbase
3. Java should download/install automatically
4. Change the following settings in Java (Control Panel)

In the Advanced tab, in "Perform certificate revocation checks on" and in "Check for certificate revocation using", choose first option in the list for both.

Regards

Julien

[Edited at 2013-12-04 16:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-04 16:05 GMT]

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am fed up of Trados Feb 17, 2014

Because, after having installed all the updates, I keep spending time to add terms to the termbase and, when I close Trados, they simply disappear!!

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Save icon in Multiterm Feb 17, 2014

Bruno, might be stupid on my side to ask this, but do you click the "Save" icon (blue) in the upper right corner of the Multiterm pane after entering every term?
it is time consuming but is the only way to have your entries saved in your Termbase after you have added them (as you see, the process has two steps).

big problems have easy solutions!

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Feb 17, 2014

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

Bruno, might be stupid on my side to ask this, but do you click the "Save" icon (blue) in the upper right corner of the Multiterm pane after entering every term?
it is time consuming but is the only way to have your entries saved in your Termbase after you have added them (as you see, the process has two steps).

big problems have easy solutions!

Dear Lorenzo,
thank you for your reply.
Luckily enough I am not that stupidicon_smile.gif
I have seen that other users have had this problem too in the forums.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot add/edit terms after last Trados 2014 update

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search