Define a tag as segmentation rule
Thread poster: frozst
frozst
Local time: 14:06
English to Spanish
Dec 2, 2013

Hi,

I have one XML with some
tags that I defined as a word end so acts as a segmentation rule in the parser, therefore this is the result:

Sizes 27.5"/70 cm
Sizes 29"/74 cm
Sizes 31"/79 cm
Sizes 33"/84 cm

However, the same text in a Excel cell and with the same rules it's shown like this, in the same segment:

And these are the rules used:

Does anyone have a clue about why is not working as the XML?

Thanks in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I'm not expert enough, but... Dec 2, 2013

Hi frozst,
your problem is for very advanced users, not sure if I can be of help, but...

To my understanding segmenting tags is not possible, or they are not tags but placables that are best handled in the original document prior of importing in order not to complicate your work.
Generally speaking: if it would be possible to segment tags, then how could the CAT tool know how to format the next segment ?! Tags are there for formating information, skipping them (with tricks or without) will probably, amongst other bad things, impede the document to export at all.
I'm not doing XML handling enough to know if in your case segmenting tags is common place, but still I would say: No.

I hope a more expert user will respond, also because I´d be very curious to know the solution. Maybe I can then simply segment all the tags I encounter - and get rid of them But I doubt.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-12-02 19:28 GMT]

frozst
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
placeholder Dec 3, 2013

Sorry, I meant placeholder, not tag.

I can do that in an XML but not in a Excel, so I think is a bug in the parser for the Excel file.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Tag expression builder for placables Dec 5, 2013

Hi Frozst,

I now have a more clear idea of what you mean. In MemoQ, there is a function called RegEx Tagger, which will build tags from placables defined by RegEx without the need to re-import your document.
In Trados Studio maybe there is a similar function (I don't know if it supports RegEx).

I have never used such functions neither in MemoQ or in Studio because it was never worthwhile for me, but maybe this is treated (if not in the Help files) in some videos for advanced users, maybe in one of the YouTube videos ?

BTW:
I would highly welcome more free available videos for people already having good experience with Trados Studio, videos that treat exceptional functions like the one here.

Hope you find your responses,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-12-05 12:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Define a tag as segmentation rule

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search