Will an edited external review file result in tracked changes in Studio?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 2, 2013

Hello everyone

[If this question has been answered before, kindly point me to the answer.]

I have to edit someone else's translation. The translation was done as SDLXLIFF files. The client wants the edits to show up in Studio as tracked changes. I would prefer to edit the files as external-review DOCX files. However, I don't want to use tracked changes in MS Word while editing the DOCX files. My question is: will the edits show up as tracked changes in Studio when I import the external-review files? Or, if not by default, what setting must I use to make sure it indicates the changes as tracked changes in Studio?

I'm using Studio 2011.

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer 1 Dec 2, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
However, I don't want to use tracked changes in MS Word while editing the DOCX files. My question is: will the edits show up as tracked changes in Studio when I import the external-review files?

According to my quick test, no.

What setting must I use to make sure it indicates the changes as tracked changes in Studio?

This then become the next question -- is it possible to import an external review file in such a way that edits to existing translations are marked in Studio as "tracked changes", even though tracked changes were not used in the external review file itself?

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Two possible options Dec 2, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

is it possible to import an external review file in such a way that edits to existing translations are marked in Studio as "tracked changes", even though tracked changes were not used in the external review file itself?

I see two possible options:

1) Edit the external review file in MS Word without tracked changes, then use the MS Word "Compare and Combine" function to create a redlined file, and try to import that redlined file in Studio (I've never tried this, but it should be simple enough to test)

2) Save a separate copy of the original (unedited) sdxliff file. Edit the external review file in MS Word without tracked changes, then import it into Studio. After that, compare the edited sdxliff file with the original sdxliff file using Change Tracker, and export the comparison report to show what was changed during editing.

You can find a brief description of Change Tracker here

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will an edited external review file result in tracked changes in Studio?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search