Studio 2011: How to split a large sdlxliff file?
Thread poster: yakky

yakky  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 2, 2013

Hello everyone!
I have got a large sdlxliff file and I want to split it into two or more smaller sdlxliff files.
Could anyone tell me how to do this?
Thanks a lot!

SDL_Annie
English to Bulgarian
There is an app... Dec 2, 2013

Hi yakky,

There is an application available on the SDL OpenExchange app store, which allows you to perform split of large SDL XLIFF files or merge split files into a single SDL XLIFF file.

You can download the app from here: http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlxliffsplitmerge-141.html

Annie

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 02:22
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Go to Open Exchange and ... Dec 2, 2013

... download SDL XLIFF Split/Merge. It will do the job.

Saludos

[Edited at 2013-12-02 17:23 GMT]

yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't have Studio software Dec 3, 2013

Actually, I only have a sdlxliff file, and I don't use Studio 2011.
So is there any other way to split it correctly?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:22
English
Only manually... Dec 3, 2013

... and I'd recommend you don't do it. It's likely you'll cause problems for your customer when you do this. Why don't you ask your customer to split it for you if it's too large and then you can work on the separate files with less concerns... I say less because I'm seeing more and more problems that are being caused for Studio users as a result of sdlxliff files being handled in sdlxliff “compliant" tools. This is a waste of time for our support teams and a waste of time for customers receiving them... especially as they often don't even know how the files were processed in the first place.

Regards

Paul

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Yakky Dec 3, 2013

yakky wrote:
Actually, I only have a SDLXLIFF file, and I don't use Studio 2011. So is there any other way to split it correctly?

If you want to split it, then translate it, and then merge it, before delivering it to the client, then the next question would be: what tool do you translate it in? If the tool is sufficiently "dumb" then you could potentially just split the file in a text editor, taking care not to break a segment. Whatever you do, don't split the head element (i.e. only split the file in places after the "body" tag).

Why do you want to split it? Is it too large in terms of megabytes or too large in terms of translatable content? When I translate SDLXLIFF files as tagged XML in another CAT tool, I often split the file by making a copy of it, opening the copy in a text editor (Akelpad in my case) and deleting everything before the "body" tag. That often takes megabytes off the file size. When the translation is done, I copy the body element back into the original file.

So... we look forward to your reply to the two questions: (1) what tool do you translate it in, and (2) will you unsplit the file again before sending it to the client?

yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice Dec 3, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... and I'd recommend you don't do it. It's likely you'll cause problems for your customer when you do this. Why don't you ask your customer to split it for you if it's too large and then you can work on the separate files with less concerns... I say less because I'm seeing more and more problems that are being caused for Studio users as a result of sdlxliff files being handled in sdlxliff “compliant" tools. This is a waste of time for our support teams and a waste of time for customers receiving them... especially as they often don't even know how the files were processed in the first place.

Regards

Paul

yakky  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I could have a test with your method Dec 3, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

yakky wrote:
Actually, I only have a SDLXLIFF file, and I don't use Studio 2011. So is there any other way to split it correctly?

If you want to split it, then translate it, and then merge it, before delivering it to the client, then the next question would be: what tool do you translate it in? If the tool is sufficiently "dumb" then you could potentially just split the file in a text editor, taking care not to break a segment. Whatever you do, don't split the head element (i.e. only split the file in places after the "body" tag).

Why do you want to split it? Is it too large in terms of megabytes or too large in terms of translatable content? When I translate SDLXLIFF files as tagged XML in another CAT tool, I often split the file by making a copy of it, opening the copy in a text editor (Akelpad in my case) and deleting everything before the "body" tag. That often takes megabytes off the file size. When the translation is done, I copy the body element back into the original file.

So... we look forward to your reply to the two questions: (1) what tool do you translate it in, and (2) will you unsplit the file again before sending it to the client?

Thank you, Samuel. My customer sent me a large sdlxliff file about 25 MB in size and asked me whether I could split it. I don't need to translate it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: How to split a large sdlxliff file?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search