https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/260684-wordfast_memory_conversion_problems.html

Wordfast memory conversion problems
Thread poster: Andrew Hill
Andrew Hill
Andrew Hill  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
German to English
+ ...
Dec 3, 2013

Hi there,

I'm using Trados 2014 Freelance Plus and have been asked by a client to use a Wordfast .txt memory. So I followed the wizard which requires it to be converted to .tmw but get the message that it couldn't be loaded because:

'Invalid file format - no valid signature found'.

I contacted the client and asked them to export it as .tmw so I could use it, followed the same upgrade wizard steps to convert it and received the error message that it couldn'
... See more
Hi there,

I'm using Trados 2014 Freelance Plus and have been asked by a client to use a Wordfast .txt memory. So I followed the wizard which requires it to be converted to .tmw but get the message that it couldn't be loaded because:

'Invalid file format - no valid signature found'.

I contacted the client and asked them to export it as .tmw so I could use it, followed the same upgrade wizard steps to convert it and received the error message that it couldn't be loaded because:

'Culture is not supported.
Parameter name: name
EN-EN is an invalid culture identifier.'

I'd appreciate anyone able to shed any light on this as I really need to get moving on the translation asap.

Thanks in advance for help.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
For what it's worth... Dec 3, 2013

I use both Wordfast Classic and Studio 2009 and have never been able to get Trados to use a Wordfast memory. The only way I've been able to do it is to ask a friend who has Memo Q to convert it and then it works fine! I'll be interested to see what other responses you get as I'm sure it must be possible to do it direct.

Andrew Hill
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tricky... Dec 3, 2013

Thanks for that. The only problem is that it's not my memory and some of the stuff is relatively confidential and the only person I know who uses MemoQ doesn't work there so, though no NDA has been signed I feel at least a duty of care!

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:53
English to Russian
ТМХ Dec 3, 2013

Maybe you should export Wordfast TM in TMX format and than import it in Studio. ApSIC Xbench can convert native Wotrdfast TM into TMX.

Andrew Hill
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally! Dec 3, 2013

Thanks for that bit of advice. Eventually got it to work and managed to get the memories in. Far faffier than I'd have hoped though. But many thanks for the help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast memory conversion problems

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »