Stefan Stefanov
Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:49
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Dec 5, 2013

Hello,

I upgraded to Trados 2011 very recently and this is my first project in it. And I have encountered a problem:

When I transfer numbers that include a dot separator from the source text into the target (by copying the source or by simply typing the numbers), after I confirm the segment, the red X sign appears next to the segment and the message is: "Error: Number is missing in target segment or is not properly localized".

Neither is th
... See more
Hello,

I upgraded to Trados 2011 very recently and this is my first project in it. And I have encountered a problem:

When I transfer numbers that include a dot separator from the source text into the target (by copying the source or by simply typing the numbers), after I confirm the segment, the red X sign appears next to the segment and the message is: "Error: Number is missing in target segment or is not properly localized".

Neither is the number missing, nor is there any need for localization as they are simple numbers, e.g. "4.1" as the number of the section, or

If necessary the daily dose may be gradually increased by small amounts to 25 mg, 3 times daily or 75 mg once daily, according to efficiency and tolerability (see Section 4.8 Adverse medical reactions and Section 5.2 Pharmacokinetic properties).

This translation triggers 4 errors of the above type (obviously in "4.8" and "5.2").

So, my question is, can I do something about this?

[Edited at 2013-12-05 20:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-05 20:34 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:49
English
Yep... Dec 5, 2013

The problem is that the target is expecting 4,1 and not 4.1. Studio has no idea this is a reference rather than a number.

So, I would complete the translation and then change them afterwards. Based on your example you could do a regex search and replace in the files like this.

Search for:

(Section\s\d+),(\d+)

Replace with:

$1.$2

Regards

Paul

Stefan Stefanov
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 5, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

The problem is that the target is expecting 4,1 and not 4.1. Studio has no idea this is a reference rather than a number.

So, I would complete the translation and then change them afterwards. Based on your example you could do a regex search and replace in the files like this.

Search for:

(Section\s\d+),(\d+)

Replace with:

$1.$2

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand why Trados would be expecting "4,1". The source is Bulgarian and the target is English, and the comma isn't a decimal separator in English. I can understand this error in the case where I have "4,1" in Bulgarian which would need to be localized as "4.1" in English but not the other way round.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. It source is an MS Word file but I only received a packed project and I need to return one. I will just explain to the client that they needn't worry about this error.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok... Dec 6, 2013

... I incorrectly assumed from your language pair by your name in the forum it was the other way around. In this case the reason for the error is that the source is finding four numbers for 4.1 and 5.3 for example as it’s expecting 4,1 and 5,3 for the numbers. So it sees 4 and 1 and 5 and 3 as separate numbers, and then finds two numbers in the target. So reports an error.

You could turn off the number check in the Project Settings and then you won't get the error, although you
... See more
... I incorrectly assumed from your language pair by your name in the forum it was the other way around. In this case the reason for the error is that the source is finding four numbers for 4.1 and 5.3 for example as it’s expecting 4,1 and 5,3 for the numbers. So it sees 4 and 1 and 5 and 3 as separate numbers, and then finds two numbers in the target. So reports an error.

You could turn off the number check in the Project Settings and then you won't get the error, although you then lose any benefit from checking recognised numbers. But in this case you could switch off the number check and use regex checks in QA instead.

Certainly the reported error won't do any harm.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Stefan Stefanov
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see Dec 6, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

You could turn off the number check in the Project Settings and then you won't get the error, although you then lose any benefit from checking recognised numbers. But in this case you could switch off the number check and use regex checks in QA instead.

Certainly the reported error won't do any harm.

Regards

Paul

Yes, I understand now the logic of this error, and yes, it's not much of an issue. I'd rather keep the number check on. Using regex in QA might be beyond me, and I can't spare the time learning how to do it.

Maybe some update in Trados 2011 could try and address this issue?

Thank you for your help.

Birgitte England Bergum
Birgitte England Bergum  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2012)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Still a problem in Studio 2014 SP2! Feb 13, 2015

Even though this is an old post, I would like to point out that it's still a very annoying problem in the latest version of Studio.

I would assume this could more or less easily be fixed by having an option to not check the number format of the number, just the number itself. At least this works very well in memoQ, where you can choose to not check the option "Verify number formats", and only check "Verify that numbers are matched on the target side".

I agree with Stef
... See more
Even though this is an old post, I would like to point out that it's still a very annoying problem in the latest version of Studio.

I would assume this could more or less easily be fixed by having an option to not check the number format of the number, just the number itself. At least this works very well in memoQ, where you can choose to not check the option "Verify number formats", and only check "Verify that numbers are matched on the target side".

I agree with Stefan, I don't want to start fiddling with regex.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbers with dot separator in target trigger errors in Trados 2011

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »