Thread poster: Cultures Connection

Cultures Connection
France
Local time: 12:40
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 5, 2013

We have been using WinAlign with no problems for a long time. However, today we tried to use it, and on two separate computers, it crashes at the same moment every time we try to use it. Our process is as follows:

- set the source and target languages in the "General" tab
- add the source and target files (in RTF format) in the "Files" tab
- connect the documents and click "OK"
- in the new window, click Alignment > Align File Pair(s)

We followed this process on both computers multiple times. On one computer (running Windows XP Professional and SDL Trados WinAlign 8.2.0.835), after finishing the Align File Pairs process, WinAlign simply crashes and disappears. On the other computer (running Windows 7 and SDL Trados WinAlign 8.2.0.835), a dialog box pops up with the following error message:

TRADOS WinAlign has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
(Close Program)

Please let us know if this is a known issue, and if there is anything we can do to fix the problem.

Thanks,
David Mickelsen
Cultures Connection

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Probably the documents Dec 5, 2013

WinAlign is quite unstable with certain documens. I would use the usual SDL file preparation merry-go-round: open your RTF files, save them as .doc and try importing those into WinAlign. If it still fails, try docx. If it still fails, get back to rtf. If you're getting desperate, copy-paste into a txt file. That will definitely work but it may damage some of the content so it's a last resort.
In the longer term, I would suggest that you consider switching to a different aligner. Pretty much any other tool is better than WinAlign.

[Edited at 2013-12-05 21:54 GMT]

Cultures Connection
France
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any suggestions? Dec 5, 2013

Thanks FarkasAndras. I'll try these steps. Do you have any suggestions for other software to use?

Thanks,
David

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Other sw Dec 5, 2013

Cultures Connection wrote:

Thanks FarkasAndras. I'll try these steps. Do you have any suggestions for other software to use?

Thanks,
David

Easiest first: MemoQ and Studio 2014 have built-in aligners. The one in S2014 replaces WinAlign at long last. It has an autoaligner (an algorithm that determines which segment goes with which) but it doesn't (yet) have an editing interface.
There's also AlignFactory, which is not free but people seem to like it. I never used it. I wrote an open source aligner as a hobby project of sorts, it's pretty popular around here: sourceforge.net/projects/aligner

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:40
English to Hebrew
+ ...
LF Aligner Dec 5, 2013

LF Aligner is a great alignment tool.
The alignment process is very similar to that of WinAlign, so the learning curve should not be steep.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
LF Aligner & MemoQ... Dec 6, 2013

... are well beyond the ones present in other CAT tools, IMO, because of their flexibility.
In LF Aligner you can switch quickly between the Align Editor and the tab-separated document for fine-tuning or for quick editions.

MemoQ has the advantage of using the formatting codes to base the align upon, it works very well, but it's somewhat difficult to return to the orginial docs to fine-tune and come back to the aligner (tip: TMX or bilingual export!)

Both LF Aligner and MemoQ will allow you to re-align on the fly from a specific segment only, which is very helpful.

@András,
congrats for your newly implemented editor in LF Align. A big step.
It would be so nice if one could copy or cut the content of a segment in the editor (CTRL-A + CTRL-C , or CTRL-X to cut) and paste it elsewhere.
Is it possible to transform a TMX (perfectly aligned) into a tab-separated text ? I haven't fugured this out yet. Thanks to let me know!

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-12-06 00:32 GMT]

Andrii Vovchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
YouAlign would be a good alternative Dec 6, 2013

YouAlign online (http://www.youalign.com), a free version of AlignFactory, has given me the best alignment results so far. The free version limitations are: 5 MB a day, 5 files a day, 1 MB file size, no editor. To edit misalignments, I import the resulting TMX into memoQ LiveDocs (the same file both as source and target).

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Dec 6, 2013

MikeTrans wrote:

Is it possible to transform a TMX (perfectly aligned) into a tab-separated text ? I haven't fugured this out yet. Thanks to let me know!

Sure

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use locally stored files Dec 6, 2013

Cultures Connection wrote:

We have been using WinAlign with no problems for a long time. However, today we tried to use it, and on two separate computers, it crashes at the same moment every time we try to use it....

I know that WinAlign often has problems to deal with files stored on a network drive or server. The software is not written to deal flawlessly with networked file access.

This is why I suggest you make all your files locally available and try again.
No guarantee that this will solve the problem but it is at least worth a try, it has already helped a few times.

Walter

Cultures Connection
France
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 6, 2013

Thanks everyone for your responses. I ended up downloading LF Aligner and it worked perfectly. I can't believe we've been using WinAlign all this time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign Crashing Repeatedly

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search