Question about problems adding files and formatting errors in Studio 2014 (trial)
Thread poster: sasv

sasv
Netherlands
Dec 6, 2013

Hi everyone,

I've just stared using SDL Trados Studio 2014, the trial version, for a university assignment. I have two questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. When I try to add a file (.docx) to an existing project, all of my files in that project seem to become unavailable? I did everything correct according to the the help section so I have no idea why this happens. I can't click on them to go to the editor view to translate, and the blue bar which shows how far I am with a particular translation (the percentage) also disappears. Many options become grey and I can't click on it anymore. The usage setting is set on translatable and the new document (as well as the old ones) are all .sdlxliff. Is this because of the trial version? Or is there a setting wrong somewhere?

2. One translated segment had a larger font than the original (because I clicked on clear formatting in the translated segement), but this didn't generate a fuzzy match or warning. I only saw the difference when I opened the exported document. Also the QA check didn't come up with anything. I do get a formatting error when it has to do with italics/bold. But shouldn't this also be possible for font size? Is there a way to change the setting for this or is this normal in Trados?

Thanks very much in advance!
Saskia

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:12
English
Perhaps... Dec 6, 2013

... on the first question you are still in the source language. Try changing to the target language in the left hand navigation pane and then files will probably become available.

Font size for an entire segment would normally be controlled externally so you should not have to handle the tags for this at all. I guess it would help to see an example. Maybe a screenshot?

Regards

Paul

sasv
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
reply Dec 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your quick reply! The first problem is solved now, thanks!

I'm afraid I don't have a good screenshot for my second question but I can try to explain what happened. The original source text segment was in size 10 and parts of it were in italic. I accidentaly copied the italics to the whole target text segement. Because this was a mistake I selected the part I didn't want in italics (which was in between two parts in italics) and clicked on clear formatting. This bit was now size 12. I later found out that this has to do with default settings in font adaptation, adapt font size, under the view tab. When this is set on the smaller size (10) it is also the smaller size when you click on clear formatting. Although my question still remains as to why there was no fuzzy match for a formatting error if part of the translated segment was a larger font than the original? Or does it normally do that?

Regards,
Saskia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about problems adding files and formatting errors in Studio 2014 (trial)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search