Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 20:21
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 8, 2013

Hi all,
I just finished my first project in Trados 2014, the segments did not include any tags. The problem was that some headings in the exported target file did not follow the source text formatting regarding "Bold" and "Italic", while other headings did. I had to fix the formatting manually.

Any idea why did that happen and how to avoid it in future projects?

Thanks!
Noura

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:21
French to German
+ ...
You need to transfer this formatting to the target Dec 9, 2013

Noura

Bold and italic are inline formats, which means that they are represented by tags inside a segment. In order to get the same formatting in your target file, you need to transfer these formatting tags from the source to the target segment. This cannot be done automatically as the computer would not know which words in the target segment need to get bold or italic or underline.
The easiest way to do this is to use the QuickPlace function (CTRL-comma or CTRL-click on the source tag).

Walter

Syria
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well that's the problem, so what's the solution? Dec 9, 2013

Walter Blaser wrote:

In order to get the same formatting in your target file, you need to transfer these formatting tags from the source to the target segment.

Walter

Exactly, Walter. As I mentioned before, there were hardly any tag pairs in the source segments, there's nothing to be transferred. What's even more puzzling, is that some headings in the source text were ENTIRELY "bold", like this:
5. Therapeutic Indications
While the target text "in the Word file" looked like this:
الاستطبابات.5

As you see, the numbering alone is "bold" while the rest of the text is not. Other target headings would lose all sorts of formatting that were present in the source segments. Again, there were no tags in the source segment, even in this particular example. In a 6,000 words document, I counted less than 10 pairs of tags in the source segments.
I never faced this kind of formatting problems in Trados 2011, I have no idea how to fix it. Could it be a setting that prevents transferring tags to the target segment, or even seeing them all together?

[Edited at 2013-12-09 21:44 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What happens... Dec 9, 2013

... if you press Ctrl+Shift+h when the file is open in the Editor.

Regards

Paul

Syria
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nop :( Dec 9, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

... if you press Ctrl+Shift+h when the file is open in the Editor.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,
This made additional tags to show up in segments with mixed formatting (Where part of the text is formatted differently than the rest of the segment). But that didn't help much, as in segments like the example I mentioned above, there's still no tags for "Bold" formatting at all. I have saved the file again as a Word file, and the same problem persists: Source text is all bold, target text is not, no tags are visible.

Interesting enough, INSIDE TRADOS, the target segments formatting looks identical to the source. It seems that the problem originates when saving as .doc or .docx. , any clue?

Thank you

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
No clue yet... Dec 9, 2013

.. but if you are ok to send me your original source file and your translated SDLXLIFF I'll be happy to take a look at it?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Syria
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will Dec 11, 2013

Thank you very much, Paul.
I will prepare a special version of these files soon and send them to you. I can't send the current ones without modifications because they are protected under a Non Disclosure Agreement.

Noura

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target file formatting problem - SDL2014

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search