Upgraded to Windows 8.1 - now Workbench can't connect to TM server
Thread poster: Jennifer Gruendler
Jennifer Gruendler  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
German to English
Dec 9, 2013

I picked up a new computer and unfortunately upgraded it from Windows 8.0 to 8.1. Got everything installed (incl. Trados 2007) and working properly, etc., then I tried to translate on it and couldn't connect to a client's TM server. Another post in the forum leads me to believe that this is a 8.1 issue.

Upgrading to Studio wouldn't help either because it's a 2007 TM server. I need for this to work.


The exact error message I got was:
Translator's Workbench cannot connect to the following TM Server: xxxxx
(50601): Unable to obtain credentials for the desired translation memory. Please contact your TRADOS system administrator.


Is there any workaround for this? Has anybody figured out a way to solve the problem? I'm at wits' end right now and need to get things running and productive again.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have for me!

Jennifer


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Janine Roberts  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:45
Swedish to English
+ ...
Upgraded to Windows 8.1 - now workbench can't connect to TM server Dec 20, 2013

Did you solve this issue? - other than by rolling back to 8.0?

I have exactly the same issue having upgraded to 8.1 yesterday.

Janine


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jennifer Gruendler  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Upgraded to Windows 8.1 - now workbench can't connect to TM server Dec 20, 2013

Unfortunately no. Rolling back doesn't work - you change, it's for good. As far as I know there is no solution. Luckily the agency I predominantly work for will be migrating fully to Studio in the next couple months so I'll just have to update my local memories from time to time. And learn Studio!

Good luck - and if you do happen to find a solution, please share!

Jennifer


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
No solution. It just does not work according to SDL Dec 20, 2013

SDL have published an article in their KB about this issue:

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4999

Their only advice is to upgrade to a newer version.

Symptoms
You are using Windows 8.1 (or higher) as operating system (OS) and SDL TM Server 2007 and Translator's Workbench. When you try to open a server-based translation memory, you get the following error message:

Translator's Workbench cannot connect to the following TM Server: [servername] (50601):
Unable to obtain credentials for the desired translation memory. Please contact your TRADOS system administrator.

Explanation
Windows 8.1 includes breaking changes for handling network connections which are not supported by TM Server 2007 and SDL Trados 2007.

Resolution
There is no workaround or a planned fix for opening a connection from Translator's Workbench as shipped with SDL Trados 2007 and SDL TM Server 2007 on Windows 8.1.

In this context, also refer to KB article #End Of Life information in 4186: End of life information for SDL Language Technologies software. As stated in this KB article, the solution is to migrate to SDL Trados Studio and SDL Studio GroupShare, the current client and server technology.

Note
Contact your sales representative for more information about migrating.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
SicilianoS  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:45
English to Italian
+ ...
Sdl Trados 2007 Suite FL install on Windows 8.1 Dec 26, 2013

I installed yestarday on a new Windows 8.1 computer, which is replacing my old broken one, Sdl Trados 2007 Suite FL, after having installed Office 2010, for the very first time, since some customers are asking me to use this sw package (I always used Office 2007).
After having placed the Trados8.dot file in the right place, and enabled macros in Word 2010, I had the Trados Menu on Word (AddIns). When asked, I browsed to my local license file (mylisence.lic), and tried translating, useing my old TM memories. After little fightings between TM and TagEditor I succeeded in changing ans saving my document using a modified name. Then I tried to re-open it with TagEditor, but it does not recognise it (have to investigate what format I saved the document in).
Another problem is that when I close TM and TagEditor, and restart, the programs (both) require me to re-connect to a license server or local file license, and I have to re-browse to my local license file.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgraded to Windows 8.1 - now Workbench can't connect to TM server

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search