Term recognition with two termbases not fully working
Thread poster: Kjersti Farrier

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Dec 11, 2013

I have the following scenario:
Trados Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009
Language pairs: EN-UK to NO (bokmål) or EN-US to NO (bokmål)

Problem:
In a EN-UK to NO project with two termbases, both EN-UK to NO, I can only see the target translations of one termbase and it is the termbase which at the time is the default termbase. If I change the default, then I can subsequently see the target translations in the other termbase. Hence it is nothing wrong with any of the termbases, either works well if it is set as default.

In a EN-US to NO project with two termbases, both EN-US to NO, I can see both source and target for the terms.

One of the termbases is actually the same for both projects, but it was originally only a EN-US to NO termbase so I converted it to EN-UK to NO for use with the EN-UK project. I had the same problem as above whenu it was a EN-US termbase. To begin with I thought that the problem was caused by the two termbases being in different source languages (EN-UK and EN-US), but that is not the case.
I tested my issues further and found that for the EN-US project, if I use one termbase which is EN-US and one which is EN-UK (the converted one), I have no issues. Both termbases, though different source languages, show up with both term and translation.

Could it be that the problem is only apparent if the project is EN-UK to NO? (not if it is a EN-US project, and the Norwegian may not be an issue anyway. Maybe it is for any language together with EN-UK..).

Unfortunately I do not currently have the capacity/resources (as in files and termbases) to try testing with another EN-UK project. But as you can imagine it would massively improve my performance being able to see and use term translations for both termbases.

NB the Termbase Search functionality is not affected by the problem.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for any solution!

Many thanks in advance,
Kjersti


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:30
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Settings? Dec 11, 2013

Have you tried changing the termbase settings in Studio?

Go to project settings - language pairs - all language pairs - term banks - search settings (I'm translating all this on the fly from the German user interface, so maybe it's called differently).

Then you'll find options on the right hand side below (search order). You probably have activated the first option, you want the second or third instead.

HTH,
kind regards,
Erik


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can see the terms for both termbases but not the translations for one Dec 11, 2013

Thank you, Erik, I have the 2nd choice ticked. But have tried them all, as well as various settings in the Hitlist settings.
Can I add a screen shot here, I wonder...?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PROBLEM SOLVED Dec 12, 2013

After plenty of trouble shooting I have found a solution to the problem. It might be only for language pairs involving Norwegian, but the problem is there caused by a foreign character: "å". If the termbase index name contains an "å", the termbase recognition window will only show the target translation for the termbase configured as default.
To create a termbase you need to specify the language name/sublanguage name, which in the case of Norwegian should be "Norwegian (Bokmal)", whereas "Norwegian (Bokmål)" will cause issues of the kind mentioned and possibly others.

Kjersti


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:30
French to Polish
+ ...
An old bug... Dec 12, 2013

Kjersti Farrier wrote:

After plenty of trouble shooting I have found a solution to the problem. It might be only for language pairs involving Norwegian, but the problem is there caused by a foreign character: "å". If the termbase index name contains an "å", the termbase recognition window will only show the target translation for the termbase configured as default.

It's a very old bug and it affects all languages using letters with diacritics.
Many years ago I spotted it for French and, AFAIR, I posted it somewhere.

During many years Trados (up to 2006 version) was able to use only one termbase.
As it worked well for one termbase and few people used Multiterm, nobody complained, so the Trados guys assumed it's OK...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-12-12 15:02 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition with two termbases not fully working

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search