Thread poster: Serhiy Ishchuk

Serhiy Ishchuk  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:27
Member (2016)
German to Russian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2013

I just encountered one very interesting problem with Studio 2014.
I have two similar segments in the source:
- 7 m
- 7 mm
When I translate the first one, autopropagation puts its translation into the second segment. And vice-versa.
Is there any way to avoid it? I would appreciate any help.
Here is the video, which shows, how it happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLV39cQhzZE&feature=youtu.be

I know that I can deactivate autopropagation, but it isn't that what I need, 'cause I have to do with lots of repetitions. Minimum match value for autopropagation is 100%.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:27
English
Three things perhaps... Dec 12, 2013

... the first is that you didn't accept the AT and if you did this then all the segments in your example are populated correctly (if the AT suggestion is thought to be correct).

The second and perhaps more appropriate is that Studio sees 7 mm as a single recognisable entity. This is why it knows what to do with the AT. BUt if the AT is not what you need and you create your own, which is what you did, then Studio then thinks that the single entity should now be whatever you called it. When you change the last segment and your AP settings start from the beginning and are set to either overwrite confirmed segments or you just didn't have AP segments confirmed automatically, then all the previous ones will be changed as well.

The last thing is just your AP settings. If you set them to Confirm segment after auto-propagating an exact match and uncheck Auto-propagate exact matches to confirmed segments then it won't overwrite the ones you already did.

Having said this I do think there is something weird going on here that I will look at with the support team. Because I want to change the last segment to be 7 M instead of 7 MM, and because Studio sees 7mm and 7m as a single entity, I add 7 M as a new translation so I don't have a single TU that potentially overwrites other segments. I would then expect this last TU to have a CM match against this new one...but it doesn’t and as a result if I pretranslate the file with my new TM I still see 7 MM for them all and I think this is wrong.

But hopefully, you’ll have something in this explanation to help you work without this problem and without turning off auto-propagation.

Regards

Paul

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
I would add... Dec 12, 2013

... that if it was me having to deal with these issues on a daily basis then I would adopt a consistent approach as follows.

1. Always allow Studio to handle the formats as it sees fit
2. Adapt the target afterwards, or the source before, to accommodate this

This way you always get the benefit of the intended time savings during translation, and you reduce your time spent in QA fixing the final target.

There is a tool called the SDLXLIFF Toolkit available for free on the OpenExchange that makes this fairly straightforward as you can adapt your source or target texts accordingly across the entire project in a few clicks.

Longer term I’d like to see more tolerance built into Studio but for the time being, if it was me, I’d do this every time.

... or, I’d use the Terminjector, which many users already do and this can pick out anything you like from the source and insert it into your target segment through the Translation match. But this method does mean you have to deal with potentially more QA checks than the former... in my opinion.

Regards

Paul

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TermInjector Dec 12, 2013

Here's an example under Studio 2011:

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/blieber45/media/Studio_2011_zps99e61e8e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

works perfectly.

Same under Studio 2014:

http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/blieber45/media/Studio_2014_zps7582823a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Keep in mind that TermInjector hasn't been optimised for 2014 yet - Auto-Concordance seems to put a spanner in the works occasionaly.

Cheers,

Bernard

Serhiy Ishchuk  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:27
Member (2016)
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Dec 14, 2013

Thank you very much, Paul and Bernard.

I'll try TermInjector. But to be honest I didn't expect such problems in Studio.
"7 mm" simply cannot be 100% match to "7 m" and vice-versa.

It's not a problem for me as translator, because I always check files after translation with built-in QA module or external tool. But it can be a problem if there will be only 100% matches in the document and the customer will pretranslate it and deliver it to the end user.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Measuring Units in SDL Trados Studio 2014

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search