Accessing third-party (non-SDL) server-based TMs from Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Grégory Maurice

Grégory Maurice
France
Local time: 01:53
English to French
Dec 12, 2013

I used to work with Trados 2007, and enjoyed the ability to work directly on my clients' server-based TMs, since some of them were reluctant to send their TMs (either because they didn't want to share them or because they wanted multiple translators to use them and enrich them simultaneously).

Now that I own Studio 2014, I'd like to do the same, but so far I have been totally unable to. I've browsed the web for solutions, had a look at the user's manual: nothing! I'm quite surprised and cannot believe that this option is not available anymore.

When I click File>Configuration>Servers, I get a pop-up window called "Servers". So far, so good...
The problem is when I click "Add" to add a new server, the new window that opens is called "Add an SDL server". This is very frustrating; I never asked to open an SDL server, but a server, and preferably my client's!

Anybody has a suggestion on this issue? Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Wrong place... Dec 12, 2013

Hi Grégory,

You should go to Project settings - All language pairs - Translation memory and autom. translation - click "Add", choose "Server-based translation memory" - add server

HTH,
Natalia

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
An SDL Server... Dec 12, 2013

... is an SDL Trados Server. But you will not be able to use this for a 2007 TM Server as this is for the new flavours based on the Studio Platform. At least one customer has created a plugin for STudio to allow this but it is not publicly available on the OpenExchange.

Working on the old Trados Servers directly is the only reason left on a technical basis for still needing a copy of the old Trados, and even this could be worked around if it was thought important enough.... and as I said, only one customer to my knowledge has done this so far. The reason they did it was to avoid having to upgrade tens of thousands of Trados Translation Memories. They just look them up instead and update their new ones.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accessing third-party (non-SDL) server-based TMs from Studio 2014?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search