What are the limitations of using SDL Trados Studio Starter in a translation team?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2013

What are the limitations of using SDL Trados Studio Starter in a translation team?

I'm cooperating with some other translators, and I was planning to make our collaboration a little more effective, because now I have SDL Trados Studio 2014, another translator in the team has MemoQ, another have Wordfast. But most often, the customer wants the job to be done in SDL Trados Studio 2014.

So instead of converting the TM to TMX and import and export of TM and files, I thought it would be more convenient to use the same base CAT Tool: SDL Trados Studio Starter for everyone else, and I have my SDL Trados Studio 2014 (freelance plus version).

If we choose this approach, what are the limitations? For example, to tackle the limitation with max. 5,000 words TM, couldn't I use my freelance version of Studio to make several smaller TMs of one large TM, and then each one with Starter version can use several TMs? Or is that also a limitation with Starter version?: you can only use one TM at a time?

Direct link Reply with quote

dianaft  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:42
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
limited Dec 13, 2013

Only 1 TM at a time and also only single file projects. It also has some extra bugs. I had files corrupted at export and stuff.
I don't know what the compatibility with MemoQ's "Trados compatible exports" is for Studio 2014. It says they are good for 2009. I have the Trados limited 2011 and have to fiddle a bit with the "Trados compatible export" to get it right for 2011 - but that way I can use MemoQ and just deliver it for a Trados client.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:42
English
Better if... Dec 13, 2013

... you have the Professional Version as you can then create packages for everyone who is using the Starter Edition. This reduces the limitations for that Project a little and allows you to set QA and other settings, and have them respected by the tool at the other end.

But if they don't have Starter, or you don't have Professional, then another possibility is to use the SDL to Legacy Converter from the OpenExchange. If you do this you can convert all of your files to TTX/Bilingual Doc and these can probably be handled by pretty much anything. Then use the SDLXLIFF to legacy Converter again to update your Project with the translated files. You can convert all your Project files in one go with this tool and this is probably the best usecase for it.

You won’t be able to preview or generate target files in any other tool other than Studio anyway if the files started as SDLXLIFF so converting to TTX/Bilingual Doc might be a sensible way forward, especially as support for SDLXLIFF is better in some tools than it is in others.

My 2 cents

Regards

Paul

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TTX seems like the way to go Dec 15, 2013

Thanks Paul, will definitely try your suggestion. Seems like it could work in my situation to base everything on working with TTX files only. I have only SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance version now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search