Thread poster: Anna Wiman

Anna Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:32
German to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2013

Hello everybody,

I've wasted most of my afternoon trying to get some new Excel documents into Trados. I just can't figure it out... According to client it's 25 000 word with 50% repetitions - that doesn't help much though if I can't translate with CAT : - )

First Excel document: Source language in column D, target language is supposed to be written in column P which is now empty. I looked at this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC6TZ_GP5nk) and tried to do the same, but instead of telling Trados to set column 1 as source and column 2 as target as in the video, I would have to set it to column 4 (D) and column 16 (P) in my case. Did not work - it just turned out as a big mess in Studio. Help?

Second Excel document: Source and target are spread all over the Excel file. For example, first source translation is located on row 4, column C, E, F and G. Target is supposed to end up in the empty row 15, column C, E, F and G. The next source translation is located on row 21, column C, E, F and G. Translation is supposed to end up in the empty row 32, column C, E, F and G... And it goes on like this through the entire document. How to get this into Trados?

The third Excel document is such a mess that I get a headache from it. Six different languages are mixed in four different columns (M, Q, T, U). I have to locate the source translation in between other languages in all columns. I have no idea where the target translation belongs - there is absolutely no logic. How to get this one into Trados is probably a mystery even to Excel-Trados veterans?

Please help. Deadline in a week.

Regards,

Anna Wiman

--- Edited: Forgot video link!

[Edited at 2013-12-13 16:09 GMT]

Jean-Paul Salaün  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:32
English to French
Studio 2011: Newbie with Excel Dec 13, 2013

Hi Anna,

You should use a temporary excel template

Open a new excel template
Copy the source column in it
then translate this file through Studio
When done
copy the translated column inthe target file of the translation
and paste it in the target column of your original file.
that should solve your problem.

Jean-Paul

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
One question on the video... Dec 13, 2013

... did you save the Excel file as CSV first? If you don’t then that solution is useless to you. So you also need to decide whether there is any formatting in the Excel file because if there is you’ll lose it if you save to CSV.

The solution from Jean-Paul sounds sensible, but if you need help, and if you’re allowed to send the file over I’d be happy to see whether I can help you with it?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Anna Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 13, 2013

To Jean-Paul:, thanks for your answer!

I think your solution is applicable to only the first and third Excel document, but it is worth to try it also with also the second one. I think I might have to write back to the client about the problems I am experiencing with these files in Trados.

To Paul: Thank you for your comment. Yes, I saved as CSV before I opened the file in Trados. And yes, it seems like there is formatting going on - otherwise the document wouldn't look so messed up in Trados.

I will certainly get back to you with the file if it possible. Of course I would have to ask the client first and now that it's Friday evening I can't expect an answer until Monday.

Regards to both of you,

Anna Wiman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Newbie with Excel

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search