Thread poster: Maria Grazia Weiner

Maria Grazia Weiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:24
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 13, 2013

This week I have encountered a problem in saving to target tab delimited text documents in Studio 2014.

In the past I have translated these types of files in Studio 2011 and saved them to target without any problem. Only the target text was saved (monolingual) in the TDT document.

I have used Studio 2014 for a new project consisting of a number of TDT files. No problem in converting them into sdlxliff. The problem has arisen when saving them to target, in as much as the target TDT files are now bilingual and the client wants them only monolingual.

When looking at the file settings for this type of file the only difference I can see is the file type identifier: in 2014 is v 2.0.0.0 and in 2011 is v 1.0.0.0.

Beside re-translating all the TDT files in 2011 - involving only loss of time as all segments are in TM - and then saving them to target, how can I translate TDT files in Studio 2014 and saving them only as monolingual, while keeping the TDT format?

Has anyone encountered this?

Thank you in advance for any explanation/suggestion

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:24
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Check the File Type Settings Dec 13, 2013

I think that the default settings are to use two columns (one for the source and the other for the translation). This should indeed create a bilingual Tab Delimited file.

Under File > Options > File Types > Tab Delimited > Format, try to change the Source and Translation columns to the same column number and check to see if it yields the required result.
Note that you will need to re-parse (prepare) the original files for this to take effect, but if you have the TM the re-translating should be done automatically as part of project preparation (at lest for the most part).

Maria Grazia Weiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:24
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 13, 2013

Will bear this in mind when I am send the next batch. In the meantime I will try it out.

ottovar
Local time: 09:24
English to Italian
+ ...
Changes in the File Type May 2, 2014

I don't know if this problem is related to the one pointed out in the initial post of this thread.
I noticed that in Studio 2014 the File type for the Tab Delimited Text has changed from the one in Studio 2011.
In the Format area of this File Type there was the field "Minimum number of Columns" where you could set a number according to the the text in the file you had to translate.
Furthermore there was another field named "Text is enclosed in double quotes" and below another one named "Lines with less than x columns"
I am sure that Trados engineers deleted these three options for some reasons, but the lack of the first two options caused me already some troubles.
I had to analyse and translate some txt files where the text to be translated was separated by the "=" (equal) sign and sometimes even enclosed in double quotes.
In Studio 2014 I could not get a proper wordcount using the "Tab Delimited Text" File Type because the options above were missing. In the Editor area it was clear that Studio could not separate the parts to be translated from the parts not to be translated in the proper way.
I had not problem at all with the same File Type in Studio 2011 which includes the additional options.
Could someone please explain me the reason of these changes and a way to use Studio 2014 with these particular kind of files?

Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tab delimited text files in Studio 2014

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search