Activated 2014 before returning 2009
Thread poster: Danae Seemann

Danae Seemann  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:30
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Dec 14, 2013

Just received my 2014 licence yesterday and in my excitement, even though I had been clearly told NOT to activate 2014 before returning the 2009 licence, I absentmindedly went to the "My licences" area first and hit the 2014 part. Now, I can neither access the 2009 licence to return it (program and licence not visible anywhere on "My account"), nor can I properly activate 2014. The Studio licence manager on my computer shows the licence for 2009 as activated but refuses to return it (50040 error).

What now? There must be a Plan B for dummies like me.

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Follow the KB article instructions Dec 14, 2013

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=3584&source=Article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3584

And if you don't find the solution there or it doesn't work, contact SDL and send a license reset request via the Solution Finder (link at the bottom of the above link).

Greece
Member (2010)
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still can't activate 2014 Dec 14, 2013

I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, though it looks like 2009 has been deactivated, I still can't activate 2014 properly.

So Solution Finder request it is!

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Don't worry about it Dec 14, 2013

It happens. I find SDL licensing mechanism too restrictive and rigid, especially when upgrading from Studio version to another. While I understand and support the need to protect from software piracy, I think that the current workflow of upgrading one's license is a bit rigid, and arguably not the most intuitive, not leaving much room for errors in case one has omitted or mixed up the order of steps.

So, don't worry about it. It happens. SDL will reset everything for you on their end. If you don't hear from them in 2-3 business days, please update this post accordingly.

By the way, in the My Licenses section of your account, what is the status of your 2014 license(s)? What is the error message you get when you try to activate 2014 (did you try to activate it from the Studio 2014 wizard or the License Manager tool)?

Greece
Member (2010)
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
No options Dec 14, 2013

The online licensing area for 2014 says "Can't activate online? Try...offline. etc.) But if I select that, I am asked for an identification ID, which I don't have.

When I try to activate by launching the Studio 2014 program, the activation process stalls when I choose "Activate" and insert the licence number, and does not move forward. It appears to be working in trial mode for the moment. However, I should say that I have not uninstalled 2009 yet. Too nervous! I assume I will probably have to unstall 2014, reactivate 2009, deactivate 2009, uninstall 2009, then install 2014 and activate 2014, in that order. Which is what I would have done if I'd been more carefuly, but that's crying over split milk at this point.

Thanks again for the moral support! I'm hopeful it won't bee too hard once the 2009 licence is reset.

The strange thing is that I had 2009 installed on two machines, and the licence is inaccessible on both machines, even though 2014 is only installed on one of them.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
The license is seprate from the software Dec 14, 2013

...and therefore you won't have to uninstall or reinstall either of the Studio versions.

The only thing that I'm not sure I understood is why you can't use Studio 2014 at the moment. You said that you activated it (before deactivating 2009). Has the license became inactive after you deactivated 2009?
Anyway, If Studio 2014 functions in trial mode in the interim that's fine because you will be able to use it without any problem until SDL will sort everything for you on their end.

Greece
Member (2010)
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Using trial version Dec 14, 2013

Yes, I can use it in trial version. The activation option is no longer available online, and when I try to do it through the program, it stalls. It's as if both licences (2009 and 2014) are now in some twilight zone where idiot users can't do any more harm until someone who knows what they're doing can help.

You're right. I can still use 2014 for another 29 days. I'm hoping it won't take that long to sort it out!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
English
Just to clarify... Dec 14, 2013

... 2009 and 2014 are different licensing mechanisms. This is different to 2011 and 2014 which are the same. This distinction is important because if you upgrade 2009 you will lose the licence altogether and will only have 2014. So in theory if you don't return 2009 first then it does no harm and will even mean you can carry on using 2009 until you have to change your computer or if you rebuild it.

I can't check your account at the moment but as Shai says, you have 30_days anyway and tbis will be the Professional version... so nothing lost

Regards

Paul

Greece
Member (2010)
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
All good Dec 14, 2013

Thank you both, Shai and Paul. Now to exercise a little patience!

Chancexpression  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Could I have my Studio 2009 license back too? Apr 28, 2014

Hi,

I found this topic, which is the same situation that I've been dealing with.
I also didn’t return my 2009 license before activating studio 2014.
I need to have both 2009 and 2014 installed.
How can I have it back?

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Activated 2014 before returning 2009

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search