Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
SDL Activation server down now for 23 hours and counting!
Thread poster: Tomasz Poplawski
Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Fully understand your sentiments Dec 16, 2013

I really feel for my colleagues who were or are still affected by the server outage. So there were error signals flashing in abandoned offices with no human back-up system. Tut-tut. I stopped paying for a support contract for my Trados program precisely because I still ended up left to my own devices. When problems arise - often in the final stages of a translation when time is at a premium, we need reliable help and we need it fast, because every nightly hour counts. I would happily pay g... See more
I really feel for my colleagues who were or are still affected by the server outage. So there were error signals flashing in abandoned offices with no human back-up system. Tut-tut. I stopped paying for a support contract for my Trados program precisely because I still ended up left to my own devices. When problems arise - often in the final stages of a translation when time is at a premium, we need reliable help and we need it fast, because every nightly hour counts. I would happily pay good money for fast, competent support around the clock. The licensing server, on the other hand, is SDL's own responsibility. We need cast iron guarantees that this situation will not reoccur.Collapse

kadu
kadu
Spain
Local time: 03:36
Spanish to German
+ ...
My licence is used? Dec 16, 2013

I had the same problem on the weekend to make the actualisation from Studio 2011 to 2014. First I have returned my Studio 2011 licence. And then when I was activting Studio 2014 the Server had problems. Now on My Account they show me that my Studio 2011 licence is used, but it is no so. And they say:
Why this license is inactive?
This license is inactive, because you have purchased a newer license that supersedes it. This means you can no longer activate this license, but you can sti
... See more
I had the same problem on the weekend to make the actualisation from Studio 2011 to 2014. First I have returned my Studio 2011 licence. And then when I was activting Studio 2014 the Server had problems. Now on My Account they show me that my Studio 2011 licence is used, but it is no so. And they say:
Why this license is inactive?
This license is inactive, because you have purchased a newer license that supersedes it. This means you can no longer activate this license, but you can still deactivate it.

Once the license has been deactivated it will no longer be visible on My Licenses page.

What have I to do? I cannot WORK!!!! Have I to desactivate my licence 2011 in the web? Can´t I work with Studio 2011 AND Studio 2014?

Please, need help as soon as posible.
Thanks
Kadu
Collapse

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Sorted, but.... Dec 16, 2013

I did get my licensing problem sorted today, but the cost in lost time and effort was considerable. I hope that SDL will address the problem of providing support and technical monitoring at the weekends, rather than just five days per week. As most translators know, the weekend is often the busiest time.

Steve K.

Steve Kerry
German to English
Support request Dec 16, 2013

Tobi wrote:

I'm really upset now. I wanted to activate my license on the weekend but the license server was down as already mentioned. Now it seems to be up again, but my account says that my lincense is already used. I cannot activate it, not even my unused additional lincense from the Plus package. Moreover, the form for resetting the license in the solution finder will not load. There is also no possibility to contact SDL without a support contract. I've already lost two days of work. This is much more damage than this license costs.

Hi Tobi, you need to file a support request through the SDL site. It is a very long-winded rigmarole, but you can indeed get support without a service contract. I normally run Mozilla, but had to download Google Chrome to get the solution finder to run properly. Hope this helps.

Steve K.

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
OK Dec 16, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

Hi Tobi, you need to file a support request through the SDL site. It is a very long-winded rigmarole, but you can indeed get support without a service contract. I normally run Mozilla, but had to download Google Chrome to get the solution finder to run properly. Hope this helps.

Steve K.

I managed to file the request via my tablet. SDL helped quickly then. But it's still not easy to get support. Thanks.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It’s not that hard either... Dec 16, 2013

... I have recorded a quick video to show you the route here : http://youtu.be/80pIu7TBsn4

In addition this article on supported browsers might be useful as these are the ones recommended by the software vendor who provides our support system and KB
... See more
... I have recorded a quick video to show you the route here : http://youtu.be/80pIu7TBsn4

In addition this article on supported browsers might be useful as these are the ones recommended by the software vendor who provides our support system and KB : http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2802&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Perhaps this will be useful so you can see what it should look like. In general people don't have a problem with this so I do think it’s more likely to be a browser issue when you have trouble using the forms than anything else.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
Suggestions Dec 16, 2013

It would be great if you can make the users aware about possible browser issues in advance. I tried two browsers (latest IT and Firefox) and disabled the Pop-up blocker and it did not work. I finally was able to log the case on a Tablet running under Cyanogenmod 10.2.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Good idea... Dec 16, 2013

Tobi wrote:

It would be great if you can make the users aware about possible browser issues in advance. I tried two browsers (latest IT and Firefox) and disabled the Pop-up blocker and it did not work. I finally was able to log the case on a Tablet running under Cyanogenmod 10.2.

... we’ll see whether we can put some text in the KB somewhere you can’t miss it.

Steve Kerry
German to English
Amen to that... Dec 16, 2013

Tobi wrote:

Users should not have to guess how they could possibly obtain access to licensing support.

Steve K.

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will you let us know? Dec 17, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
This kind of problem only affects users who need to activate a licence out of hours and find they can't either because their linence needs to be reset or because our servers are down. The latter is less common, and neither happen in large numbers. But having said this we clearly need to address this and provide for it in the future. We will do.
Regards
Paul

Paul,
Will you be so kind and post it on the forum when SDL does address the issue, as you suggest it should and will? It would be such a nice closure, dare I say, a happy end

[Edited at 2013-12-17 15:56 GMT]

Tomasz Poplawski
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A sad end of the story Jan 4, 2014

Let me summarize the whole debacle:
- Several people lost between one and two and a half days of work
- Despite declaration that something would be done to avoid an encore, nothing seems to have happened - so most likely, the situation will be repeated
- The nice SDL manager who temporarily allowed me to use her Studio 2014 license after 24 hours did not respond to my suggestion that perhaps a free upgrade/deep discount would be an appropriate compensation for financial losses
... See more
Let me summarize the whole debacle:
- Several people lost between one and two and a half days of work
- Despite declaration that something would be done to avoid an encore, nothing seems to have happened - so most likely, the situation will be repeated
- The nice SDL manager who temporarily allowed me to use her Studio 2014 license after 24 hours did not respond to my suggestion that perhaps a free upgrade/deep discount would be an appropriate compensation for financial losses; the licenses just vanished from my account after a few days without a trace
- And I was actually forced to upgrade to Studio 2014 because some external review files generated with the temporary license would not import back to Studio 2011.

So much for customer care. While I am not very surprised, it is just sad.
Collapse

Tomasz Poplawski
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A happy end after all Jan 9, 2014

Soon after my last post, I received an email, followed by a phone call, from their Director of Client Services.
She said they took several steps to prevent such situations in the future, including making several license codes available to customer service people, so they can send them on the emergency basis to translators after a breakdown of a licensing server.
She also offered me a refund of my upgrade fee to Studio 2014 Plus as a compensation for the inconvenience.
We had a
... See more
Soon after my last post, I received an email, followed by a phone call, from their Director of Client Services.
She said they took several steps to prevent such situations in the future, including making several license codes available to customer service people, so they can send them on the emergency basis to translators after a breakdown of a licensing server.
She also offered me a refund of my upgrade fee to Studio 2014 Plus as a compensation for the inconvenience.
We had a fantastic conversation, and she actually sent me screen shots with a very good solution to my tech problem, which I will re-post separately.
So there is a nice human touch to SDL after all - they certainly won back my loyalty!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Activation server down now for 23 hours and counting!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »